Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88trailblazer, Feb 12, 2006.

1. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

Well heres the low down. The truck is a 78k10 with that 203 t-case. The cab is from a 2wd pickup so there were no holes for the floor shifter. Today I cut out a hole and istalled the shifter that i bought from clarkjw24 (thanks again!). I connected the linkages which I compared to my brothers 79k5. (before you say it, that nut holding the linkage in is temporary)

[​IMG]

Now the problem is the t-case will only fully engage "Hi Loc" and "Lo Loc". If i go in to "Hi" or "Lo" at any time, then the t-case seems to slide into "N" the minute that I slow down.

What could cause this and how bad is it to drive on the street in "Hi Loc"?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Your linkage prolly needs to be adjusted. See in the picture the shifter box, that half dirt/grease covered little hole in the middle bottom. There are holes just like that in both linkage arms. you line up both arms and that shifter box hole all together, then adjust your linkage to work correctly.

3. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Running in hi-loc on dry pavement can cause a lot of damage.

The single shifter binds up and can be a problem on the 203. Many people change the single shifter into a 2 lever. ORD advertises one setup for the 203. They are fairly easy to fab one up. I run the 203 with a single shifter with the parttime kit.

I had a problem with this blazer and the last one I owned. Both ran the 203. The thing wouldn't go into lock or shift. Neither were out of adjustment,one was dry and the other had so much gunk that the mechanism could EDIT: could NOT move freely. I cleaned them out while on the truck the best I could (brake cleaner from a distance) and then sprayed in a dry lube. Works like new.

The adjustment is also an issue. There is a hole in the base of the shifter to align the two bars. Once the pin is in place, the transfer case levers should both be straight down. If not, adjust the appropriate bar.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  4. 88trailblazer

Thanks for the quick replies. So let me make sure that i get this right.

1st - I should check the t-case fluid level

2nd - I should clean all of the crap off the shifter box with brake fluid.

3rd - Loosen the 4 adjusting nuts, run a pin through the hole to align the shifters, then tighten the adjusting nuts.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

:eek1:

Brake cleaner!!

6. 88trailblazer

whoops!! Brain Fart!!:doah: I meant brake cleaner

7. 88trailblazer

Alright, I finished adjusting the linkages. I put the tranny in nuetral, shifted the t-case into what seems to be nuetral. I ran a thin rod though the holes in the case and both shifters. Finally i re-tightend the linkages. Now the two levers are straight down.

After all of this it still does not work right. In hi loc and low loc, the front driveshaft only does a 1/4 turn either way. But with the t-case in Hi, Low or Nuetral, the driiveshaft turns freely.

What am i doing wrong? I can drive the truck but only in the Loc positions. When I put it in Hi or Low, it starts to sound like its grinding. At this point I can't move it back into loc or the tranny into park without grinding. I then have to turn the truck off with the tranny in nuetral, shift the t-case back into Loc and only then can I shift into park while the truck is running

8. 88trailblazer

9. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does the 203 have a part time kit in it? When I was a kid a guy told me all you had to do to make the truck work in two wheel drive was instal lock in and out hubs. I didnt know you had to install a part time kit in the transfer case.After we installed the hubs and selected free the truck would do just as you describe would only pull in the loc positions. it needed a part time kit to work correctly. If I am off base with this just ignore all the above. Hope it helps. Eric

10. 88trailblazer

I'm not sure if this has the part-time kit. The previous owner put a 2wd cab on the rig and never cut the hole for the t-case shifter. So it could be that I have been driving for the past 6 months with it in HI LOC. I probably did not notice because there was no front driveshaft until now. Either way I need to fix this because I'm guessing that HI LOC waste more gas and power than HI.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Brake the case in half and put a 205 behind it with a triple stick:D .

Ira

12. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Does the truck have locking hubs on it? If so, I would guess that your issue is that the case doesn't have a part time kit in it. Lock the hubs, and then try your luck with the shifter in hi or low. If it moves you have found the culpret. I would not advise running the truck with the hubs unlocked and the case in either lock position. It puts alot of unneeded stress on the case. Just in stall a part time kit if you want that option, or slugs if you want it full time 4 wheel.