Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Jan 1, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know of a site or where I could get information on the transfer cases GM used in thier vehicles? And whether the're part time/fulltime? There was one I thought that pulled in the front axle when it was in 2-wd,anyone know which one that was? Thanks, I have learned a-bit from comming to this site,but would like to learn more. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you're thinking that there was a t-case that made the truck front wheel drive when it was in 2wd, then you're misinformed. The only full time case was the 203, the 205 208, and 241s are part time cases. </font color>

3. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Ok sorry, What I meant was when in 2 wd, the front axle was the one doing the pulling,until shifted into 4-wd then back axle was pulling also,I was hoping to get a list or something that had those type details,what t-cases was full time,which one's was part-time and how they pulled. (chain or gears). Thanks.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> RIght, I think I understood, but all of the t-cases that Chevy used (and all other 4x4 trucks that I'm aware of) use the rear axle to put power ot the ground when they are in 2wd, the front axles are just along for the ride unless 4x4 is engaged. There are some t-case tech guides around, I will look around to see what I can find, but the basics are as follows -

NP 203
    Type: Chain-driven, cast-iron, full-time
    Low-range ratio: 2.00:1
    Weight (lbs.): 165
    Lubricant: 10W-30/10W-40
    Length (in.): 21.5
    Width (in.): 19.0
    Height (in.): 15.0
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NP 205
    Type: Gear-driven, cast-iron, part-time
    Low-range ratio: 1.98:1
    Weight (lb.): 138
    Lubricant: 80- to 90-weight
    Length (in.): 13.0 (GM); 16.0 (IH)
    Width (in.): 18.0
    Height (in.): 12.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NP 208
    Type: Chain-driven, aluminum, part-time
    Low-range ratio: 2.61:1
    Weight (lb): 79
    Lubricant: ATF
    Length (in): 8.0 (GM); 15.5 (AMC)
    Width (in.): 20.0
    Height (in.): 5.0

5. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I think you may be refering to a modified NP205. I think you can make these a "twin" stick so that you can either have front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive. I may be way off, but I think that's how it works.

6. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Shaggy is right on the part time cases. The 203 cases I have been told have the power transfered differently. When I lost the front hub splines on one side in 4hi it would not move without putting the case in 4loc. something about the way it transfers power front to rear /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't understand it. That could be what you heard about.

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

A friends 205 would do what you want cause of sloppy shifter,just not on demand.Twin stick kits will do this when you want it to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif