Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case question:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Don, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

What T-Case came in a '67 K20? It has a 292, SM 420 trans., Eaton rear axle, and a closed Knuckle 44 up front.

Any idea's about the T-Case?

Thank's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If it has a driveshaft between the case and tranny it is a rockwell case,if it bolts to an adapter on the tranny its probably a new process 205(gear drive)case,should be a tag on it above the front driveshaft--I have also seen dana 20 transfer cases on older chevys and gmc's but they are usually only used with three speed manual trannys.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Thank's I have'nt even looked under it, I'm speculating on this rig, beforehand. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

'67 came with a Rockwell T-221. NP205 didn't come out until 1969.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

221 is a cool TC
    I would like to have one to check it out

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Thank's Guy's! I'll know more when I actually see the truck, up close and personnal. It belong's to a freind and I will check it over thoroughly in a week or two.

The original owner died in 1973, so the Rig has been in an enclosed building for 30 year's. Just waiting for someone to tinker with it, I think I'll be the tinkerer. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

the 3 original 67s ive seen had the rockwell case..the divorced style... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I wasnt aware the 205 didnt come out til 69--I have seen older (67-68)3/4 tons with the 205,but may have been put there,not original.I had a 1972 chevelle station wagon that was on a 69 suburban 4x4 chassis with a 454 in it,and we used the rockwell t-221 divorced style transfer case to keep the driveshaft angle to a minimum,also with the short driveshaft from tranny to transfer case allowed us to use any tranny we wanted in front of it,short tail,long tail,manual or automatic--I ran a turbo 350 in it for 7 years with no problems. It sure is easier doing a clutch job when you can just pull the tranny out and leave the transfer case installed!.The Rockwell case is kinda noisy though,the gears must have a straight cut--everyone thought I had a blower or gear drive in it--but it was the transfer case!The Rockwell case took a lot of abuse and only once I had to tighten the yoke nuts,never even changed the lube since the car only was driven a few thousand miles a year.I think the car is still in my area somewhere but I havent seen it for a few years--it was really cool.The cops never hasseled me about it,but I could tell they didnt like it too much!. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif