Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I hear all the time about divorced t-cases. What is it and why? I've heard it said many of times, just never understood what its for and how it works. Pics would be good also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

A divorced t-case is one that married a bitch. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Actually, what it is is a t-case that is not directly mated to the transmission and there's a short shaft between it and the tranny. Think that's right.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya bubba is correct.
    A divorcied t-cse is not married (bolted to) the transmission. This set up is often used on longer wheelbase vehicles to shorten the rear driveline. Some Ford hi-boyz have this and a practically 5 foot front drive shaft.
    I think I'm correct hope this can help

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What is the purpose of running them that way?

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

They are also called "remote". Avoid these like the plague especially on Blazers because the rear shaft would be way too short for operating angles on lifted Blazers. You would be going thru u-joints like a mofo. Just stay away from these types of t-cases. Trust me on this. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I never planned on running one, I was just curious about them. I've heard lots of people talking about them, just never knew what they were and how/why they were used.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

they are kinda cool in some ways. you can make anything a 4x4 if you have one and a front axle. I don't mean your dads old vista cruiser, but maybe an old sevice truck, or a bus for an offroad motorhome/towrig/support-truck/shop/somethingelse. Just some silly ideas I have runnin around.