Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case rear output bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by myklnglo87K5, Jun 24, 2003.

1. myklnglo87K5

myklnglo87K5 Registered Member

I have a 208 t-case on my 87 Blazer. The rear output shaft has a bit of play. Is some play normal or is that a sign of worn bearings? I have a vibration problem and replaced/balanced near everything else that might be a problem. Before I dig into the output shaft, I thought I'd ask. I think I need to replace my tranny mount too, or at least the t-case mounting, just in case that could be a factor also.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

you might need to replace the metal bushing that the slip yoke rides in. it's just inside of the output shaft behind the slip yoke seal. it's like $7 at the dealer.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

how does one replace this bushing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how does one replace this bushing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just take out the tail housing, remove the seal either with a screw driver or a seal remover, and then from the inside using a pipe or socket or the proper bushing remover to tap the bushing out.
    Installation is reverse.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

it's a good idea to put the bushing in the freezer the night before so that the cold will shrink it just a little bit to make it a little easier to put the bushing in the housing.

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well at autoloan you can get a seal\bushing kit for 8$, and knowing how to do this makes me feel better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. well now that i know what and how to replace that bushing, i can sleep well tonight /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.