Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case rumbling noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RAY, Jan 7, 2002.

1. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I popped the t-case into 4Hi with the hubs unlocked the other night. As I increased the speed (no higher than around 15 m.p.h.) I heard a rumbling noise as the speed increased. I then put it in 4Lo and the rumbling was not as noticable. Just the normal whine. Has anyone had this problem Or know what my problem is? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Ray

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Proabablly just the front drive shaft rattling around. With the hubs unlocked there is no load on it.
    You may have a u- joint going out or a loose yoke

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I agree with Thunder. Bad U-joints, loose yokes and improper pinion bearing preload all show their "death noises" when there is no load on them. If you lock the hubs, you will probably find that you only get the noise when you are coasting or braking or at some point other than giving it the gas.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>