Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case Seal Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Feb 1, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Hey, my T case seal is leaking, what parts place should I go to to get a new one? How do I install it? Unbolt driveshaft then slide driveshaft out of t case, pull old seal out, then put sealant stuff on new one (what kind of sealant?) then put seal in and put driveshaft in? Do I have it right? Any tips? Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the club man. Just about every Blazer leaks from the rear shaft after a while. I changed mine just like you're planning to do yours and its still leaks. If you use sealant any RTV silicone will work. The problem is the design of the slip yoke. The thing has to be practically perfect to get a good seal. If the leak isn't too bad, I wouldnt worry about it. Look at this way the area above the leak that gets the fluid sprayed on it will be rust free. If it were leaking between the case halves then you could fix that. They like to do that too and thats pretty easy to fix. Just crack the case and put some RTV around the edges and reassamble and let it dry for a while. I'm doing mine this weekend, along hoping to dear God that this junked 1/2 we're looking at has 4.11s in it for me.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Sounds like a 208. You have the replacement right. If it's a 208 t-case- the rear bushing that supports the driveshaft slip wears out. That wears out the seal. A driveshaft / driveline shop ought to be able to help you with the parts. Good luck.

[​IMG]

4. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Just get a rear output seal for the t-case from your local parts store - and I'm assuming you have a NP208 so get some tranny fluid to fill 'er up too (or the appropriate fluid if you don't have a 208). Just did mine and it's good as new - now as for the rest of my Blazer...

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

How hard is that rear bushing FWP is talking about to replace?

Dawson
    88 K5

6. FWP

FWP CRS

It's not too bad. Remove the driveshaft then the tailshaft housing from the t-case. You'll be able to pop the seal right out, but as for the bushing, you will need a bushing driver the right size (I don't remember the exact size) or a diamond chisel. The new bushing presses back in with a press or bushing driver. A socket might get you there, but don't use it- it will damage the bushing. Does this make sense?

Unless you plan on building more tranny's or t-cases, it may not be worth the extra money to get specialty tools ( I just like buyin tools[​IMG]) You could take the tailshaft housing to a shop and have them take the old bushing out and put in a new one- might save a buck that way.

[​IMG]