Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case Seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RJimmy, Sep 4, 2000.

1. RJimmy

RJimmy Registered Member

Well, the front seal on my '86 208 T-Case has worn out. How much trouble is it to replace? Any special tools needed, or any tricks to getting the old one out, or the new one in? A couple of years ago I had the fun of dropping the case to replace the gasket between it and the 700, so that part I know. Thanks for any tips.

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I apologize up front. I am gonna ask you a question, not answer yours. How much trouble is it to drop the t-case? I think I am going to have to replace the gasket and/or the seal. What were the symptoms when you had to replace the gasket? Thanks for the info.

3. RJimmy

RJimmy Registered Member

Panther; My tranny is losing fluid, and when I remove the filler bolt (top one) on the 208, fluid pours out. The front seal on the T case acts as the rear seal on the 700. Removing the T case isn't really hard, just time consuming. Drain the T case, remove the drive shafts (chalkmark the U joint for proper reinstallation),disconnect the speedo cable and wire harness on top of the case, block up case and start removing the bolts ( I think 9/16, but don't remember). The top two are the hardest to get to, but with a box wrench it can be done. The tranny outputshaft will kind of hold up the case, be careful sliding it back, even though it's aluminium it still weighs a lot. You will need to get a new gasket from your Chevy dealer for between the tranny and the T case. Good luck, hope I remembered everything. Let me know how it goes.