Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-case/tranny question.....should there be fluid in the adapter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Sep 23, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

NP241/700R4. I took the two apart to put a new tranny on the t-case and noticed fluid IN the adapter. Is that normal or is there a seal in the t-case and tranny that is SUPPOSED to keep fluid in each half?

The input seal on the t-case easy to replace? I think I heard somewhere that there are two seals?

Any help is appreciated.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

no there is no a seal the adapter is open to the govenor so there will be fluis in there.

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

It is normal to find fluid in there. There *is* a seal. It is in the transfer case input shaft. There isn't one on the transmission, though. The one on the transfer case is what keeps the two parts (transmission and case) seperated.

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

so then how do you know if the seal is bad at the front of the t-case? Just curious.

5. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Well, on my 208, with the slip yoke, I started leaking around the rear ouptut seal, pulled the fill plug, and realised that my transfer case had filled up with fluid, and my transmission was low on fluid.
    On anyhing else, just pulling the top plug, or having unknown loss of fluid from the transmission will tell you if that seal is leaking.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That's right. When you pull the fill plug out of the T-case and fluid shoots out, the front seal on the T-case is bad.

Actually, that's a double seal in most units, intended to stop fluid flow in both directions, although I can't say as I've ever heard of a t-case emptying into a tranny.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

hmmm....I wonder if I should just replace them while I have it out.

How difficult is it?

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i just did it total cost for all the parts was under 20$'s i got the rubber o-ring that goes arount the adataper on the tranny side, the gasket for the adatp. to t-case. the input and output seal for the t-case and the brass bushing that the output saft for the t-case rides on, the only thing i diddent replace was the bushing and it took me about 2-3 hours, but i had to heli-coil 2 of the tranny bolts. any questions, pm me,
    dale

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I've been looking for the part #'s for those seals for a while. No place I go can find them in the computer or books. I could use the part #'s for a th350/np205.

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

cool deal. Guess I'll replace them then since I already have them /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I dont think that bushing is gonna work that you got. I got two different kits and the bushing was too small in both kits.
    I went to my driveline shop locally and the guy new exactly what the problem was. For that tail housing, GM wants you to buy the whole tail section. He found an a/c delco bushing that fits perfect and he stocks them to sell seperatly.

Anyways, I have the part number for the seals for the 700R4 and the NP241 if you want them...but it sounds like you need them for the 350 and 205.

if you let me know exactly what you need I can go get the part numbers for you, or get the parts and ship them up to ya.

Let me know.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Where did you get them from? Maybe it is close enough for me to stop by...

If you are in there and could get the part #'s I'm sure myself and many others would be in your debt.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I went to NAPA and they were able to look up the seal part #'s in the book. They had to order them in and I'll have them by Tues. I'll post the numbers then.