Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case wont shift out of 4x4.. cuz of different gear ratios???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Dec 30, 2006.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

long story short i am currently running a 3.42 gear ratio in the front and a 3.73 gear ratio in the back. ive avoided putting it in 4wd as much as possible, but a few times ive absolutely had to have it. when i do shift in, it's very hard to get the thing to go back in 2hi. the shifter moves freely, but when i shift into 2hi, a lot of the time it stays in 4hi. could this be from a 'binding' force in the t-case due to the different ratios? ive never seen a blow-up of how a np208 works, so i was hoping one of you have.. thanks..

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Could be binding, if you were on high-traction surface like a paved road.
    With the tranny in neutral, you could unlock the front hubs (please tell me they're not auto hubs!) and that would release any such tension.

I'm more inclined to suspect that the shifter needs adjustment.

-- A

3. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem once, I had to jack up one end to release the tension caused by the difference in gearing. Once it was up it came out of gear like it was supposed to.

4. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

more than likely ill be using it in the morning, ill check it out more in detail then.. and what is this 'shifter adjustment' you're talking about??

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

On the shifter..

Where the linkage goes onto a lever on the T-case,there is a threaded section about 2" long with a locknut on each side of the lever..put the case in 2HI (all the way forward),and take out the cotter pin holding the linkage to the lever..then try moving the lever by hand further, in the direction the shifter pushes it when shifting into 2HI...

....if it was out of adjustment you'll get it to move more,and you may hear it "click" into position..then you'll have to loosen the 2 locknuts and adjust the threaded portion until the linkage pin lines up again with the hole in the lever..replace cotter pin,try it and see if its better..

You can "fudge" the mis-matched gears by using different sized tires --the rear end will turn slower being 3.73's,so using a bit bigger rear tires than the front will help "even out" the difference in the 2 axle ratios..you'll have to figure out how many percent the front axle is "faster" than the rear,and increase the tire size accordingly..

I ran a 71 K5 for years with a 3.08 rear and a 3.73 front--but I had to use 33" tires up front,and 235/15" in the back!..looked goofy as hell,but it worked!..at least I could drive it in 4wd,before with all 4 tires matching,it would just bind up badly,and refuse to move--a hub would pop and slip if you tried forcing it to go..so its possible to "fudge" mis-matched gears by using "mis matched" tires !!..:crazy: