Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 3030, Mar 11, 2000.

1. 3030

3030 Registered Member

I have an 80 k5. 350 trans. unsure of t-case but is has gears instead of a chain. There is a shaft that comes out of the front of the t-case. it fits into a sleeve that is in the transmission. I have had to replace this sleeve 3 times in the last year. I'll be going down the road and the truck will just stop. No movement in 2wd or 4wd. Does anyone know why that shaft keeps tearing the splines out of that sleeve? It's getting expensive. I did have the transmission rebuilt but it has done it again. Thanks.

There ain't no way I'll get stuck in that hole.....oops.

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

It is possible that your tcase might be in need of a rebuilding. Possibly that the bearings might be shot in it and causing alot of stress. Also, another possibility might be that the tranny rebuild was somewhat a flop. But I'd first check the tcase. Since you have to pull it, put it in gear and see if you can turn the yokes by turning the input shaft. It should move freely. Do it in all positions, 4low, 4hi, and 2hi. Hope this helps

3. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

I have a Blazer-80 too. Your t-case is a NP205. When you get it to work properly you are the proud owner of a VERY good and strong t-case. Good luck.
    Btw, if you want any other info on your K5, feel free to e-mail.

/Andreas (leader of the secret -80 club, hehe)

4. I have seen transfer cases lock or bind just enough to snap shafts or sleeves. Like waxer suggested, check your transfer thouroughly, and it sounds like a NP205.

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Do you have a lot of wear on the trans. output shaft splines, or the t-case input shaft splines? When you put the new sleeve on, does it fit on both shafts snugly without a lot of backlash?

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. 3030

3030 Registered Member

I had the output shaft replaced the second time the sleeve went out. When it went out again there was nothing left inside the sleev but the shaft suffered no damage.

There ain't no way I'll get stuck in that hole.....oops.