Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t case ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmaxxer9, Feb 14, 2003.

1. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok as many of you know I am new at this and I have a 75 k5 blazer. It is my first vehicle and I did not take any engine classes in school, so there for I don't know much. Ok anyway, I was told that when the 75 blazers were released they came with a t-case that had 5 positions(lo loc, lo, N, hi, and hi loc). Well my t-case only has 3 positions(lo, N, and hi). Does anyone know what this might be?? I do have manual hub lockers on the front axle. As far as I know is that if I had the 5 positions on the t-case I wouldn't have to get out and lock the hubs. So I am a little confused. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

203 are full time with hi and lo and hi loc and lo loc,

205 and 208 are 2hi and 4hi and 4 lo and n cases, and 208 would be wrong for 75 im pretty sure, so probably is a 205, especially if you have manual tranny,

most or all the full time trucks were th400 and th350 trucks through 79-

and most or all the 465 trucks were part time 205/208 trucks, through '79

good luck

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Fill in your profile and it will be easier to get help.Don't have to guess as much.Could be 203 or 205 ,but both have more than 3 positions.What tranny? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

I was told that the tranny is a 350, because that is the size of powerplant I have in it. I already told you how many positions it has but as far as that I don't know. Oh yea I guess the tranny is a 4 speed as well. The t- case is full time. I know that for a fact, because I had a friend lay on the ground at a safe distance and watch the front drive shaft to see if it spins while the hubs were free.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

a 75 would more likely be a 203, if you get under your truck look at the out put shaft, a 205 has a short output shaft, and a 203 has a longer one..... i dont have a 203 so i dont know how long it would be but im guessing around 9-10 inches. also if its a 205 there will be a plate on the driver side of the case, a rectangle plate. for the PTO winch

6. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

what is a PTO winch??

7. Silver84k5

i dont know much about them all i know is, you take off that plate i was talking about and bolt a gear in there then a driveline hooks to the gear and then goes to the winch, so the winch is powered through your Tcase, instead of off of your battery......... You go look at your t case to figure out which one it is?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My 76 K5 Blazer has a NP-203 transfer case. [​IMG] NP-203

9. Silver84k5

heh i should learn how to do that, lot easier then typing

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just do a search on the net for what you're looking for, right click on the pic, click on "Copy pic location", when replying, click on "image" past location.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

1st, there is no 3 pos x-cer case in these trucks. A '75 came w/ either a TH350/NP203 (auto) or a SM465/NP205 (man).
    If you have a 4 spd auto it was swapped in, so your case may have been, too. Is the case alum or iron?

12. bigjbear

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The t- case is full time. I know that for a fact, because I had a friend lay on the ground at a safe distance and watch the front drive shaft to see if it spins while the hubs were free.

[/ QUOTE ]
    2nd, This action will not tell you if it was full time. If the case was in 4WD the front shaft will spin w/o the hubs locked in. If it was an NP203 that was still fulltime (not converted to parttime) and you had it in one of the normal/fulltime (not lock) positions with the hubs unlocked the front drive shaft would spin but you would not move.

13. bigjbear

3rd, a PTO winch is a winch driven by a power-take-off. The PTO can drive many different things-think of a tractor. That driveshaft coming out the back is coming from a PTO on the trans. The NP205 has provisions for this. It does not come w/ the output, though, it has a block off cover.

14. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Well then I guess the t-case swaped in, because there is only 3 positions.

15. bigjbear

Is it alum or steel

16. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

That I ain't to sure of. When I go home I will check and let you know. If I had to guess I would say it is steel.

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you probably just arent aware of the shift positions.
    they can be subtle to an inexperienced person.

go look in my webshots album for pictures of transfer cases and figure out which one you have.

under the grime near the front driveshaft you will find a tag riveted to the case that will tell you what you have.
    my guess is if you have an automatic tranny you have a 203, manual tranny a 205

18. Silver84k5

do you got a digital camera? just start postin pics of what you cant figure out......

19. bigjbear

Most likely you will find it looks like the pic posted above. You may not be able to tell it has 5 pos if it has manual hubs and is unconverted. The normal pos will fell like N.

20. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok I just looked at it and it does look like the pic. It is made from steel so does that mean it is the NP-203??