Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-stat, Rad cap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79cheyenne79, Nov 16, 2006.

1. 79cheyenne79

79cheyenne79 Registered Member

I have a 79 Cheyenne with a 350. I was wondering should I go with a 195 t-stat. And how many pounds should the rad cap be. Im asking ya'll before I do all of this research..:bow:

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

as long as your cooling system can handle the 195 t-stat, and keep the engine around that temp, then i'd go with it, especially since you are back east, and have some serious cold weather, will provide you with some nice heat, and keep things running nice and comfortable.

16psi cap too, that's usually what they all are.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

195 is what you should use!..

GM has used 195 degree thermostats since 1968 factory in all vehicles..anything lower will reduce heater output,increase emissions,and waste fuel due to longer warm up times,and could lead to oil dilution....some new cars use 210 degree thermostats!..:eek1:

I've never seen any engine that had an overheating problem cured by swapping in a lower temp thermostat,all it does is make it take a few moments longer for it to overheat..you want the motor to run as hot as possible, without causing overheating, for maximum efficiency and fuel economy..:crazy: