Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-stat replaced

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79cheyenne79, May 16, 2006.

1. 79cheyenne79

79cheyenne79 Registered Member

i changed the t stat im letting the silicone dry overnight and hopefully i wont see that problem any more. I got a t-stat that is set at 160 is that cool? i think its suppose to be set at 180

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too cold...

All Chevy motors since 1968 came with 195 degree thermostats..its especially important to use them on the newer EFI and computer controlled motors..the motor can run cool enough to not come out of the "open loop" and run off the ECM... the coolant temp sensor "thinks" the motor is still "cold",and that will cause poor performance ,and horrendous gas mileage..it'll make the motor sludge up bad in cold weather too,takes longer to burn off condensation in the crank case..

Only time you need a 160 degree one is if a special "chip" is installed in the computer..I've never had any success curing an overheating problem using a lower temp thermostat in a GM motor...every time I tried one it just took a bit longer,but it still overheated..and I'd find the REAL problem later,like timing being off,bad head gasket,clogged radiator,etc...I find the hotter a chevy motor runs,the better it runs...within limits of course..:crazy:

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

too cold IMO,,,,either 180, or 195, depending on time of year for me.:D

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are you sure you didn't mean 1986? I know for a fact that 180* was used up until GM went to ECM's, not sure about the early ECM carb/dizzy models but FI for sure.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

what I read..

I read in a GM manual when they introduced the "CCS" (Controlled Combustion System) in 1968,it consisted of a 195 degree thermostat,recalibrated carb jetting,distributor advance timing,and in some cases an AIR pump system to increase eficiency and lower exhaust emissions..as far as I know they used the 195 thermostat from the factory ever since..

I wouldn't go lower than a 180 stat myself..I like having a heater that works,and getting good gas mileage is an absolute must nowadays..:crazy:

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, do some more checking, 195* is pretty much standard GM fare from 1960's-90's+ Olds, Cadillac, doesn't matter, all 195*.

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Too cold. use a 195. Your engine will thank you.

8. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run a 160 t-stat and I have had no problems what so ever. If your engine is non computer controlled then you can run whatever temp t-stat you want.

9. theperfectgarage

So long as you don't consider less fuel mileage and increased engine wear " problems" yes it will be fine.
    You might want to do some tech research on the subject.

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How would it make that much of a difference? I have no computer anything on my engine and I keep the timing and carb in adjustment, so I fail to see why this makes that much of a problem.

11. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Because not everything expands properly, oils properly, etc, and the engine will wear prematurely.

12. theperfectgarage

And also, Especially on short trip driving, condensation collects in your engine. This moisture does nothing good in your engine and if your running cool it does not " evaporate as it should. These are fine points and it really boils down to how much you care about engines. Ever notice how some people always have better " luck " with there cars performance and reliability? I don't believe it's luck. Never have.
    I mentioned do some tech research not in a smartass tone, just to let you know that there is some great info out there on this subject that explains this far better then I ever could. Try GM tech. If you don't think the little things matter, ask Jack Roush.