Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T V Cable effecting the shifting of my trans? (700R4)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Jun 18, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Never shifted right since the day I got it (2 years ago) it seems to slam into secoend gear and lock up the converter too soon (bogging the engine considderably) It was suggested to me by a customer that the TV cable could be stretched and causing the trouble. I have adjusted the "metering holder deal" in and out all the way test driving to and from work each different setting, and it will not shift correctly. I have flushed the tranny twice and changed the filter. What will happen when the TV cable is stretched? If this is the problem... Is it easy to replace? How does the cable disconnect from the slide valve in the tranny?

Thanks for your help(s)

Jeremy

2. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Okay, First off- are you using the throttle linkage when you re-adjust or the gas peddle? I used the peddle because using the linkage like the book said to do wouldn't get it right, but the peddle did.
    Second- (I aint triin to be smart, just need to make sure) You aren't just moving the slider in and out without doing one of the above are you?
    Third- Inside the tranny pan you will see where the cable connects. Now it has been awhile since I have had mine out, but there should be alittle locking grommet on the end of it. Call your local shop where you are getting the new cable from(if you decide to change it out) and ask if there is a new Loc grommet(cutting the cable) or does it come with the tab already attached. Mine had it attached so all I had to do was work onto the tabs but I have seen them come both ways.

3. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I've tried it both ways, and still it doesn't seem to shift right. It seems like a six speed automatic jumping between gears or just bogging upon accelleration, with the converter locking up at erratic points in time. cDo you think it IS the TV cable?

Thanx

Jeremy

4. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

It might be. I wouldn't rule it out. Does it change the shifting at all when you re-adjust the cable or does it stay the same. If it stays the same then I would say it is the cable. You can buy those locking tabs for cables, I would try pulling some length out of it at the throttle linkage and re-locking it with a new tab before I replaced the whole cable. Just can't go too far with it. But at the same time, My buddies shifts real hard going into 2nd due to runnin 31`s and a shift kit installed. Nothing wrong with it it just does it with the smaller tires. Mine even smoothed out some when I went from 33's to 35's. I will try to hit the book tonight and look it up.
    Have you had any other prob's with it? You said 2 years, it might not be anything besides gear ratios to tire size.(don't count on it) but if it has lasted 2 years with no major probs then I can't see it bein bad except for maybe the Torque Converter going out.

5. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

yeah, just running 32's on stock axles (1990). It does make a difference whan adjusting the cable in and out, it changes the shift points a bit. I'm worried now that you mention it, that the torque converter has a problem...

Thanks.\\

Jeremy.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

This link provides some excellent information. Be prepared for some heavy reading, they go into some detail and is an excellent resource. I was having trouble with mine shifting too early and sluggishly so I started playing with my TV. It is amazing how much that effects the shifting pattern on the 700R4. My problem was, I installed a spacer for my tbi and in doing so it threw off the geometry of the cable. By adjusting the slider in a couple of clicks, it raised the pressure in the tranny and greatly improved the shifting. It now shifts at a higher rpm and has a crisper shift... I think it is better to have a little more pressure than not enough. The pressure basically controls the clutches. If you do not have enough pressure your clutches will not engage fully and you could burn up your tranny from the heat!

Anyway, get ready to find all you want to know about your TV calbe.
    http://www.tvmadeez.com/index2.html

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

My 700R4 never shifted right either. I blew up the 3-4 clutches and had the tranny rebuilt and the tranny place adjusted everything, worked great for well over a year and now the shift points are kind of weird again, thinking about headed back to the trans place to get it checked on.
    I tried no less than a dozon books and ways to try adjusting it myself. Its almost worth having it checked at tranny place to keep from having to crawl around in the inthe engine bay and f-ing up the linkaging and that plastic tab that holds it in place! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Great link. I had fergotten alot until I read that. It brings up alot of great stuff. It has been too long since I had messed with it. I was going off of memory(which is deteriating quickly!). Thanx from me too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif