Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T400 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazyrc, Oct 9, 2005.

1. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if I need a vacuum modulator on my new T400. I bought a TCI T400 and the general instructions state that you need to make sure to install a modulator if your tranny needs one. I know my old T400 had one in it.

Should I re-install it on this one. This is a fully race prepped reverse manual valve body transmission. Its installed and I'd like to go wheelin, but I don't want to bugger up my new tranny.

I can't get a hold of TCI until tommorow.

2. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

is the old one bad? im not real keen on transmissions so i doubt id be of any help. any who the reason i posted is that i the valve body is the same way in the 400 i took out of my k5. the po did it and i cant stand it. what is the purpose for setting up a valve body that way?

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

You should always install a new modulator on a new trans mission. The only thing i don't know is wheater or not you need one with a full manual valve body

4. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

Thats what I'm not sure of. Its possible that I don't need it at all. Can anyone tell me what effect it has on the shifting.

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

It tells the Transmission the load condition of the engine it works with the govenor to determine when to shift for example if you floor it the modulator will get almost no vacum and will hold the shift out longer if you are just driving normal it will get more vacume and will shift sooner. You can try it with out it hooked up and if you can not get out of first gear you will know that you will need it. It will not hurt to just see if it will shift being careful.

6. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

Thanks.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

You dont need the vaccum mod with a full manual valve body. When I installed my manual valve body it came with a plug that went in the bore where the modulator goes. When they put those valves in they put in a heavy spring in the pump that already bumps the line pressure up to max. Just put the mod in there (if you dont have that plug) and cap the mod with some vaccum caps.

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Oh and by the way they usually take the governor out when the manual valve body goes in. :waytogo:

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

This was rather informative, I haven't read that far in my TH400 book yet.