Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T400 shift linkage...purty please with a cherry on top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 21, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Is there any way to make the lever on the transmission, move through gears easier. I've got my cable operated B&M shifter installed and it takes so much force to shift gears it ain't even funny. I've tried everything I can think of and am desperately seeking an expert opionon /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Are all of the shifter parts new? It sounds like the cable is binding, are there any really hard turns in the cable? Try disconnecting the cable and operating the shifter, if it works smoothly reroute the cable (you may possibly need a longer cable to do this). I've had a TH400 with a B&M Pro Stick and it was very smooth and easy to operate.

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Everything is brand new. Cable is routed with no binds at all. Everything is smooth except for the shifting. I won't even try to drive the thing till I can get it to shift smooth. I'll keep fiddlin with it but in the meantime if anybody has anymore suggestions..I'm all ears, or eyes. Thanks again

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Did you try shifting with your hand at the tranny output?
    If it's hard too then it's not the cable.
    The inside is a flat spring pressing on a cylinder that is sliding over teeth just like a bycicle sproket. If the spring is too strong or the valleys are too deep or if the teeth are brand new and the top edges are still sharp you could have ahrd shifting.
    Pull the pan down and check it. You might be able to smooth the thing out by sanding it down a little, as long as you don't remove too much to keep the gear in place.
    Hope this helps.

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I just filled the thing with fresh fluid, so can I put on a thick setta gloves and just move it back and forth by hand about a hundred times to loosen it up? If that doesn't work I'll drop the pan and try to sand it down a little. I'm startin to think this was a bad idea /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif