Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T400 Tranny folks, downshifting questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bobsurf, Apr 14, 2003.

1. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to figure out my buddy's problem he's having with his '86 2wd 3/4 ton. He's got a T400 in there, and I know very little about them (I've got a TH350). He's having problems with it not wanting to downshift when he either kicks it down, or just regular driving (from what he told me).

What I've read so far:

There is a kickdown switch hooked up to the skinny pedal. I'll check to make sure that's working (i.e. ignition on, hook it up to a light, floor it).

From what I read, there isn't a TV/Detent cable, but instead is just controlled by the vaccum modulator. Where is that? Is that what we should check next? Is there anything else that plays a role with auto shifting?

Thanks in advance.

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

There should be a vacuum line from the back of the manifold to the passenger side of the trans, where there is a modulator. The switch for the kickdown is on the driver's side. The vacuum line specifically controls the upshifts. Not much help...sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The kickdown is an electric operated solenoid, located on the valve body in the trans.

Pull the pan, make sure You have a signal when the pedal is pushed to the floor, or You might get lucky, and the connector has simply fallen off of the solenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Check to see if the oarnge wire had fallen off the trans on the drivers side. I've seen this happen alot on the TH400 trannys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Thanks Everyone, I'll do some more investigating.