Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t700r4 downshift problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by audacious, Mar 31, 2003.

1. audacious

audacious Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif before i take my truck to the shop tomarrow to pay a tech 80 dollars to make me look like an ass i figured i would give you guys the honor of doing it for free. OK heres the deal.i have read all the post and still haven't gotten the right info i need. help. I have just rebuilt the top end of my engine. replaced the intake manifold and carb (edelbrock proformer matchup)etc.replaced all vaccum lines and the dentent/TV cable. I have adjusted the cable to everyones specs and i still have a definite problem shifting. if i adjust the cable to full throttle i get great up shift but no downshift at all. when i adjust it to the middle thottle i get high rpm but no real shift. when i have no cable adjustment i cannot move the gas pedal. WTF i can manually shift fine but no auto shift. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif please help me save my time and money. Thanks

P.S. as far as the rest of the engine goes it runs great.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You didn't say what carb you put on but if its the 1406 performer carb.
    I think you need an adapter for the carb linkage to get the right geomerety for the cable. The TV valve is very touchy and requires the cable to be hooked up to be pulled out a certain way. If it is not hooked up and operating right, you can destroy your tranny in a very short time.
    Unless the carb you are using is designed to work with a 700r4(most aren't) you will need an adapter. Most of those 1406s are made to work with TH350 and 400s.
    Go here to get more info:tvmadeezy.com

3. audacious

thanks for the info. yes i do have that carb( which is a replacement for the original) but i have talked to a tech and he said all i have to do is use the origional cable mount that holds the cable in place and level the cable until i achieve the correct adjustment.that adapter plate he said was a waste of money.

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

contact 84k5cedric...he's done work on makeing carbs work with 700's

5. audacious

hey guys thanks for all the help i fixed it and works great ended up taking the pan off and resetting the hook inside the trans for the tv cable. then replacing it back on the origional bracket and adjusting it off the carb. worked like a charm only took an hour.