Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tach ? again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76 jimmy Az, May 11, 2000.

1. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

I heard some people talking about adding a tach early and i have a question. I have a 76 jimmy manual so i would really like a tach but is it as easy to install as connecting it to wires?i think i want a autometer one
    Thanks

2. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

The easiest way to mount one is a hoseclamp on the steering column.As for the wiring it should only take 4 wires.1 ground-1 power with the key on-1 to the dash lights and one to the coil.If you have a HEI ignition there is a spot on the distributor cap to plug it into.If not I think it goes to the coil but I can't remember,It's been a long time since I had anything without HEI.Hope this helps.

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

If you have an older ignition system with points, the tach wire goes to the side of the coil that feeds the distributor, which if my memory is correct is the negative side.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes I have mine too the negitive side of the coil also!
    Don't you love thoes brain farts Eagle86K5??LOL [​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

5. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Ok, so I bought a tach today, and it says to connect the green wire to the negative side of the distributer, and it says it might also be labeled tach. I looked on my truck and there it was, a little thing jutting out from the distributer cap that says tach. I was looking in the haynes manual just to get a better look at the connection, and it looks like it would be hard to connect. It looks like it should have a little plug to go into it, but the green wire is just a wire. Will I have to pull the distributer cap to put it on, or is there some other way to do it, it looks like it would be hard to reach. Thanks

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

What I did is that I bought a little box of 10 connectors at a local shop about $0.75. I used only one for that cable. Now I have peace of mind that I won't have a loose connection.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Most of you that are hooking up Tach's for the first time are going to be disapionted, becasue you going to go out
    and drive around trying to get peak HP, and peak Torque.
    And then the "TRUTH" will seattle in and two weeks later you tach will be lucky to see 2500 rpms.
    Happy Taching..................

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that happened to me. I had no idea what my rpm range was. I discovered 90% of the time I'm in the 1000-3000 range. Only when I'm really in a hurry (i.e. having fun), I get to 4500 rpm. That might be because I have 3.08 gears and 31" tires.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have a tach mounted by the e-brake release handle and I want to put it on the dash. Is it hard to mount it on the dash?

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Kibils, You need a .250 Female spade connector to plug into the "Tach Output" coming off the distributor. Strip the wire from the tach, then crimp on the female spade onto the wire. It might be easier to pop off the cap to plug in the connector, but it can be done by "feelin' and pokin' ". GM has a special connector for this, but the female spade has always worked for me. These instructions only apply to the HEI style distributor. Old points style, just hook the wire on the Negative side of the coil, like Eagle said. Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info on the spade tip Micheal, I have been contemplating throwing one in myself just have not figured where to put it. Looks funny on the steering column, it moves everytime I put it in gear!

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

12. Kiblsnbits

Thanks for the info on the spade connector! I hope to pick one up tommorow and then put everything in place!

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I used to do lots of resto work on the '70-'72 style factory tachs. I've been kinda lookin' into a "factory" style conversion. Replace the fuel gage type deal with an indash tach. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

14. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I installed mine today on the left side of the tilt assembly. Thanks, Michael! The spade connector worked great!
    It's really a piece of cake on an HEI system.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

15. Kiblsnbits

I installed everything over the weekend and it works great, I mounted it on the steering column. On eproblem I did have was, I spliced in the light wire from the grey wire coming out of the dimmer switch. The light worked fine. Now, the light doesnt come on in the tach, and the tach stops working all together, and when I turn the lights out it starts working again. Is this a short or a bad connection? or just a faulty tach? Thanks

16. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Try hooking the wire up elsewhere... the tach is taking up too much amperage that the dimmer doesn't have to give.

NEVER been stuck... *yet*