Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tach and other guage needles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Feb 1, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I installed a stock tach insturment cluster in my 73 today.
    The guy i got it from had taken the needles off to refinish the black background, and then put the needles back on, but they are not zeroed.
    For exampl, my tach at 0 rpm (not started) reads just under 1000. It IS supposed to read 0, right? So I should just remove the needle and point it at 0, I guess.
    But what about the ampmeter, oil pressure guage, fuel guage, and temp guage? Should they be resting on the little stop past zero, or be right at zero?
    Anyone see what I am talking about?
    BTW, the stock tach is great. I didn;t realize I was revving it as high as I was. Even calculating for the error (not zeroed), I'm still pushing it to 4500 or so on a regular basis. No wonder it needs a rebuild (lol).
    -- Mike

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

All my gauge needles are resting on the zero.

3. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

All mine rest on zero. But i've got a good question. How come every tach i hook up works fine for about a week then the needle dances all over the place? I've checked all the wires. Does it have anything to do with the HEI?

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Are the grounds getting fouled/corroded? Are the conections loose? Are the wires getting too close to the plug wires?

" What day is today?....Febuary.....Its nudie magazine day!!!!!!!! " - Billy Madison

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

All are all way off.. Untill I turn the key to run/start-run... then they auto dial in and go to work... Check your ground from your frame to the battery and the battery to the body... These connectuions are in the engine compartment.. I had this same problem and I added a ground to my battery and it all went away... I discovered this after a new alternator, new oil pump (installed by yours truely) and a new battery and cables...
    It was all a ground...SO CHECK YOUR GROUNDS!!!

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My 78 k10 with factory tach sits at about 1000rpm mark with the key off. When you turn the key to run it will go to zero. Rest of gages needles rest on stops.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, I've thought it through a little more. Tach and mech oil pressure guage should be zero with the key on. No problem. With regards to temp, ampmeter, and fuel, I read the responses (thanks!) and one person said they should be on zero and one person said they should be on the stops.
    I'm guessing it should be on the stops with the key off and zero with the key on (except ampmeter of course).
    Am I understanding this right?
    -- Mike

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Ditto DMK. My 87 factory tach does not zero until key is on. Otherwis it sits up around
    1 grand. This called a taut band meter I think.

SteveB

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The factory tach that was in my '77 K5 would sit at just under 1000 with the key off. Key on, engine off and it would drop to zero. If this is how yours is behaving, then I think it's OK.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>