Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tach Cluster for 78 Balzer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lee, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Lee

Lee Registered Member

I have a 78 K5 with a crappy gauge cluster....I found a cluster out of a 79 Truck with a factory tach... all was in good shape and everything worked.

I put it in my k5 and the tach does not work...the voltmeter does work but the temp, gas and tach do not work...the blinkers are reversed so if you flip the left the right one blinks and vice versa....

The tach came with the original harness which had three wires red, black and a brown wire. I grounded the black wire and ran the red wire to the engine and also hooked the brown wire into a the headlight system...

The black wire being hooked up grounded out the coil and the truck would not start...so I ungrounded it and the thing fired right up.....but the tach was dead. When the black wire is grounded the tach looks alive and moves with the starter revs.

I am running a ramjet 350 in this truck and it has a labled wire to hook up to the tach.

I wonder if my wiring harness will work with this tach cluster... mabe I need a specific wiring harness for the tach dash cluster.... does anyone have an opinion on the problem here?????

Lee

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm not sure what you're looing at, but why would you hook the brown wire to a headlamp circuit? The tach should be illuminated by the cluster lamps, right??

Maybe try the black to ground, red to a switched power source, and brown to your tach lead on the coil. See if that does it... Or maybe right now while it's wired the way it is, turn on the headlights, send black to ground, and see if it starts.

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

3. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Yeah you are right about the lamps lighting the gauges but I do not have a clue as to what the brown wire attached to...fellows at the garage said to hook it into the headlamp system b/c it works with the dimmer to adjust the power of the lights on the dash....The red wire had the clip that hooked directly to the distributer so I know where that wire ran to....

Just checked it out now that it is dark outside and no lights come on in the dash when the headlamps are on.....when I adjust the dimmer to the highest setting the blinker lights glow...pretty f...ed up huh???

L