Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tach Cluster + info (good...???)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 2Dogs, Jan 17, 2002.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

thats cool as hell, too bad my gauge cluster is too trick to be putting stock stuff into[​IMG]

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

3. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

dave,i have the same one in my 74. i did the footwork at my local library to get wiring diagraph an stuff first. all the stuff he's talkin' aboot is pretty honest an correct as far as i can remember. looks like the same kinda thing i had to do when i snagged mine. my tach an speedo came outta of 79 burb an it bolted right in, from a diesel also.

uh, think it'll fit?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've been watching ebay for a good one of these for a while now....(8months or so)... the info he provides is good. I did some research myself a few months back with my GM parts manuals and found there are differences..his summary is pretty accurate....the 6cly and 8cyl are different part numbers...EFI equipted trucks won't take the tach (not without extensive Electrical Engineering anyhow..).. I'm not so sure about the HEI vs. Points distributor however, my book lists the tach number different starting in 76..(when they introduced HEI...)..that same number is an listed along with the old number for '75 (HEI an option?)...'77 is different yet...so I'd play it safe and get one from a year you know has the same stuff as yours...
    He plays down the canadian thing, but I believe they offered the tach through '91. Just swap the speedo, iI believe it's a direct swap, if you had the same year and engine..etc....
    There are also many subltle differences in the cluster as well that he doesn't mention (or anyone else for that matter)..like whether or not you have the 4WD indicator, some years had it, some years didn't. Did the 2wd trucks have it and it's just not wired? I dunno..
    Some years they had idiots lights along with the full gauges....things like that...which may make it not a direct wire up...

Here's the problem with this particular unit...all you have to do is follow his own adivce.....
    He doesn't say what year this came one from...he doesn't say if the tach works...all he says is it's "sweet" and clean and he repainted the orange indicators...sounds like he's going for the cosmetic approach....
    My best guess is it's probably a piece together......in which case I wouln't trust it......the printed circuit may not match the gauges he put in...I'm sure it could be made to work..perhaps with no work, pehaps with a lot of work..who knows.....the price is already way to high anyhow....It would have been a good buy at $100, but not knowing the origin or if it works doesn't make it worth much more.....
    Take his own advice..find one that hasn't been screwed with, has a known origin, and if it works or not.

BlazerMan

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i had to rewire the plug on my 76 when i put that unit in.
    just took time to figure out how gauges work and then what each wire did. little harder then plug n go, then run wires and add sending unit for oil pressure. think I paid around the $100cdn mark but got a bunch of odds n ends as well in the deal.
    I reallly like the clean factory gauge look though and would buy that one on ebay if i needed one, as they are fairly rare

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

My '88 wiring manual shows different pin locations for the gauges depending on whether there is a tach or not.

I have a '76 tach in my '83 cluster, with an '87 TBI motor. No problems with the TBI. I've run it with and without my MSD 6-AL, no probs. I run the stock '83 diesel printed circuit, and had to modify it a little (solder on wires for the fuel gauge, and cut a hole in the back for the tach).

The gauges in that cluster don't appear to match. They changes the font around '77 or '78. My '76 tach and fuel gauge don't match the rest of my gauges, but generally I'm the only one to notice.

Also, I don't see how that could work in both 4x4 and 2wd trucks, as there is a 4x4 indicator in the cluster on mine.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I paid $5 for the tach and fuel gauge at the local junkyard. [​IMG]

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not quite sure why he works the feedback carb info in there, the tach doesn't have a thing to do with computer functions. All a tach needs is the distributor connection, ground, and 12volts switched ignition.

Now the gauge connector itself will likely be wired different, but as long as the distributor still has a "tach" connection on it, you can run a tach, its that simple.

As with everything, given enough time, anything can be adapted. The cutouts for 4wd indicator, brakes, everything, are on this cluster for example, so even if not funtional, they could be MADE functional.

Of course the speedo doesn't have VSS, that cluster is obviously pre '81. 100MPH speedo is a dead giveaway on that, as well as the color of the numbers, and the style of the numbers. You could add a newer speedo in there, but it will not be anywhere near the correct colors and lettering to look correct.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that pic is so blurry no way could i guess if they all match.
    guess I am gettin old n blind.
    mine have the words 'oil pres PSI' 'temp' 'fuel' 'volts'
    that one has the symbols cept for 'fuel'
    that one is higher mph then mine also mine is mph to the centre km/h outer a la Canadian

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. 2Dogs

I will pass on this project until I know more about compatability....

Now on to option 2: I have the tach and gas gauge out of a 79 camaro that I plan on building into my cluster much like dyeager535's setup. Now I'm wondering if it will work for the EFI trucks.... I'll revive those posts here:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=182446&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics

10. 2Dogs

Hi Dorian,
    Started my post before you replied - brought back some of your old posts as you see....

I have the gauges so I just need the time.

Thanks!

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

11. dyeager535

BTW, I found at least one "correct" donor year Camaro, if you didn't see my last sorta camouflaged post on the tachs...1978.

Also found a 1981 Camaro, and it appears that the Camaro speedo head will interchange with the trucks speedo head. The plus to that is that the Camaro one I grabbed, has a trip odometer, and it appears to be in the SAME place as the later (late 80's early 90's) C/K trucks. I know they are actually V trucks then, but you understand : ) Gonna see if I can make that work, if so, then a trip Odo could be retrofitted to all 81-91 C/K gauges.

One thing I DID notice about the camaro tach, was that there is NOT a plug on the back of the tach, stock, for the wiring harness. The plug my dad used is obviously off of another GM, probably an earlier Camaro. To keep from hard wiring the wires to the tach, he got a black plastic piece that bolts on the back of the tach, that takes the 3 prong plug. I say it must be anbother camaro, because that plug bolts right over the 3 posts on the back of the tach. From that plastic piece, he soldered the wires to the tach printed circuit board.

One other thing, the back of the Camaro gauge has the cylinders printed on it (6 or 8) so don't use a 6 cylinder one.
    Big long thread before, my truck couldn't have been going 110, the tach was reading 25% higher than it should have been.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I only got through a few paragraphs of that ebay description jeez, seems like a lot of work for inaccurate old factory gauges, I think you would be better off installing new aftermarket gagues and they would be accurate to.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you do a hack job like me its not too bad, and much cheaper. Not as acurate as a new aftermarket tach, but looks much better and a much cleaner install if you have a resto-rig like mine.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. 2Dogs

I guess that is my third option - how do you keep the necessary indicators for vehicle inspections?

The rigs done (like solowookies) definately are nice!

Frisbee made a new panel also, correct? I am gonna start collecting data there also.... Sheesh :)

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

15. dyeager535

Actually, my factory (well, factory for a camaro) gauges are "only" off about 50RPM. Thats calculating RPM from MPH etc. Not bad when you figure that the tires are not exact, and the tach is 21 years old.

When it comes down to it, I have to say that truck tachs for the most part, are for looks anyway. You don't need a tach to know when to shift, or where to set idle, (at least I don't, don't really care as long as it idles smooth) and an online calculator will tell you how many RPM's you run at what MPH.

I'm sure some will disagree, but if so, tell me why? If you mud bog, or race in the 1/4, where you need to shift at exactly a certain RPM, advantages are obvious, but other than that, or "coolness" factor, I don't know why I *had* to have one! : )

Dorian

16. 2Dogs

I need it to see when I have the stereo too loud and forget to shift out of 2nd.... LOL Hate when that happens.

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I dunno, I read most of his description and am a bit confused...........I have the factory gauge cluster with TACH in my truck that I bought from Zach Carlson (remember him?) for $40............no idea what year it is out of, but it came with the correct pod and flexible circuit board. Only thing I had to do was run the wires for the tach direct (because it didn't have the factory plug) to the sources needed and it all works fine. The tach signal as Dorian stated just needs to go to the right coil hookup. Accuracy is excellent too, it runs within 50 rpm of my Auto Xray scanner all the time, low or high rpm. I don't understand at all the 'computer feedback' comments on his description.

I still prefer the newer gauges type guys like Sparky87K5 have, but for my $40 investment I am not changing a thing.

Is the issue with a '91 that you have an electronic speedo? If VSS is the issue alone, '79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup

18. 2Dogs

His comments made it sound like the cluster is not cpmpat with EFI.... I am looking into it.

I have been meaning to talk to you - California is encouraging me to go smog exempt. http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Must have somehow missed that thread...........good one. Harry is right on about the Speed Density issues and the standard chip programming for a new motor............I am in fact going through some of those problems myself due to high BLM counts and the lean condition I am running in ............a 350 chip just don't work in a 406 [​IMG]. I am getting into chip (eprom) burning in the next month or so............just gotta get my ducks in a row. Have learned way too much about FI that now makes me somewhat dangerous. You know how it is, a little knowledge makes you stupider I think. Anyway, going smog exempt in the republic of Kalifornia is difficult from what I have heard............too much referee bs for what you are exactly frustrated about - A CLEAN RUNNING ENGINE SHOULD BE ALL THAT MATTERS! Amazing........if Oregon was anal like Kal. I would never pass their referee stuff...........even tho I pass DEQ (sniffer test) like the machine is broken. Seriously.

Specs on the motor - well, obviously a 406 with TPI, 24 lb (brand new as of today) Accel injectors, 52mm throttle body, cam specs I can get you but they're in the garage and I spent 8 hours doing the injector swap and other stuff on the truck and my back doesn't want to get out of this chair................lol. Heads are I think 76cc early 90's, again the number I am not remembering............flat top pistons compression of 9.8:1...............Hedman headers, true dual flowmaster 40's exhaust with Catco cats..........

It is an incredibly torquey motor...............I am not exaggerating. It makes all my other 350's (have had 4 other K5's) that I have had feel really weak, and a couple of them were pretty decent motors. In slight rain I can roast the tires through second gear. Dry pavement from a dead stop I can break them loose............this with 35" tires, 4.11 gears and a Detroit. I love the performance BUT I know it has more in it, especially with the BLM numbers I am seeing. So that is why I am going into chip burning. Then I want to dyno it.........and see what it really has. Figure most of the truck is built already, now its time to fine tune it.

MPG - got 15 one tankful driving mix of town and highway..........but that is not the norm. Norm is about 12-13.......and I firmly believe if the guys got their gear/tire combo figured out and actually checked their gas mileage, MOST would be 10 or below. I did the 15 mpg tank by GPS, so I am comfortable it is accurate.

Let me know what else you want, cam specs or whatever, I'd be happy to share.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

20. 2Dogs

Good deal! I may contact you for more detailed specs if I decide to go that way....

On my drive to Frsno today I thought alot about my options:
    1)Do something smog legal on the 350 (Whipple, B&amp;M etc...)
    2)Full LSI out of Vette or Camaro and have it re-certified (good for true dual exhaust, good power and efficiency, and probably the lightest small block - anyone have the aluminum block weight specs?)
    3)register the vehicle on the Family ranch which is in a smog-exempt county, then I'll need your specs :)

All,
    I need to research number 2 - where do I start - do the project and apply for re-cert or start the plan with CARB first and have them give me thumbs up....? I am sure this will be a hair-pulling endeavor.....

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.