Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tach. cluster

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by slider, Feb 23, 2006.

1. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I am selling a tach cluster that was in a V8 to a member. He has a six cylinder in his truck. Our question is will this tach cluster from a V8 work in six cylinder. I have seen where aftermarket tach's are adjustable for different ammounts of cylinders but factory ones are not. Any help is appreciated. Slider

2. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure it should work...im not positive but i dont think the number of cylinders matters its checking how many times the...crap i forget what it is but it might work..someone might chime in with a better response

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Won't work and tell him good luck finding a S6 factory Tach I've never seen one and if you did you could probly swap a v8 in for less than it would cost. :eek1:

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

All the aftermarket tachs I've seen have a 4-6-8 switch; like he said, never heard of a factory L6 tach. The whole panel/cluster might be a neat starting point, with the small gas gauge over on the left and use an aftermarket tach.:D

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM made some "adjustable" (6 or 8 cylinder switch) tachs, but they weren't used in trucks, sorry. 25% error in RPM due to # of cylinder difference.

6. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if ur friend wont take it still i might
    what year did it come out of...i have a 90 will it work?

7. dyeager535

Not as it is.

1990 uses the electronic speedometer, as of yet no one has provided proof that the tach was ever available after 1981-ish.

You can of course swap the gauges around, but the tach cluster is specific in most regards (cutouts in the plastic housing, printed circuit board, etc) and the 1990-91 PCB/housing is much different than even the 1981-1989 cluster housing with the same non-tach setup, as is the wiring.

8. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

I might have one of those. I bought a cluster off ebay. he said it came out of a chevy truck. it is the same as our blazers. Except. my tach shows 4500 rms at 60 mph. And i now that is wrong. It has a seperate plug in for the tach only. It is not attached to the main wiring. oh and i have a 75 k5

9. dyeager535

No, the ones I'm talking about came in the A/G-body cars, I BELIEVE it was the Olds' only. There is a switch on the tach circuit board that is moved between "6" and "8" for the different engines.

The plug on the truck tachs is separate for all years that I'm aware of. 3 wires: 12V ignition, ground, and the signal.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah slider, i didnt think it would work. I totally forgot about that little detail too until last week. Oh well, guess I wont get to get that factory tach setup in the truck like I wanted.

11. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Not a problem, Glad we could work it all out. Slider:D