Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tach installation complete -- check it out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 28, 2002.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I promised Grim and Rene I’d give them updates as I checked off my list of to-do’s. Well, my first mod is complete – the tach is installed. Check it out...

[​IMG]

The silver and black of the tach look good, but the poopoo brown of the dash kind of kills the effect. Unfortunately, you can't see the sweet looking brown plastic laminate on the dash panel -- yea, I know you’re jealous! I got fancy and mounted the tach with a screw into the side of window plastic – think it looks pretty cool that way.

Drive idle is a little high at 800-850rpm, going to adjust it down to 700rpm.

What fast idle is everyone running on a 350?

Anyway, just wanted to share my first mod – obviously not much compared to the other big-time/real mods, but I’m still pumped! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

looks good i wish i had one not bad for a first timer

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I like that too.
    I think I'd put one there too if I didn't have the stocker already.
    Much better than using a zip tie and putting it on the steering column.
    -- Mike

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The tach looks GREAT! The only thing that I can see that needs to be done differently is to move that little red needle over around the "7"! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Looks good. I need to get a tach in my Blazer. I just might have to put mine in the same location.

6. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

Great looking tach! Nice job. I was thinking about installing one as well. Where did you get this one? Summit?

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Much better than using a zip tie and putting it on the steering column

[/ QUOTE ]
    hey mine is on the steering column /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif but i didnt use a zip tie i used a giant hose clamp lol /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good job Kris!!

My Jimmy currently idles at 900 rpm when warm. Initial fast idle is about 1800, the next step down is about 1300. The fast idle should be about 1500 and idle speed when warm should be in the 700 range with a manual tranny and prolly 600-650 with an automatic.

I set mine high to pass emissions and just never bothered to turn down.

Anyways the tach looks great there! Real world redline is probably 4500-5000 though./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

9. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Meat.
    I got it at Advance Auto Parts -- $42.99. Was cheaper buying it local and paying sales tax than buying it through Summit and paying shipping. I had been watching Ebay (lost a couple of auctions actually) and finally my patience ran out and I bought it local. For that model CP7901 the ebay auctions ended at $31-$33 bucks (and that doesn't include shipping). Here's one on ebay right now, suspect it will end around $30.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1863137226

Here's a VDO tach as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1863036277

Thanks to all for the feedback! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Not too bad.. Definitely better than the traditional zip tie or hose clamp to the column so you can see anything but the tachometer.

I've got my fast idle at 1750rpm and my regular idle is around 625. I always set my idle so if I stomp on the brakes and lock up the rear tires that the motor doesn't stall. I like the idle to be as low as possible so I can hear things over the exhaust.

On a manual I like to set it as low as she'll run smoothly. This usually means between 425 and 550. Some people like to set theirs higher so they don't have to use the stupid pedal to take off. I think an engine that sounds like its racing at idle sounds pretty gay.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Looks nice. Might have to move my radiator clamp on the steering colum up to there /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    WOW you folks run some high cold idle! My cold idle I usualy set around 1000 rpm. I haven't fine tuned this carb I just put on dollar and it's cold idle is about 850 and so far it's doing fine but It will need to come up in late Oct when the temps start coming down. I hate screaming a cold engine. The 79 idles happily all day long once warm at 550rpm in gear and 650 with A/C on. Motor is little tired in Dollar and I run it at 650 in gear. Never had a slamm on the brake stall issue on either truck. If I'm goofing around and poping the gas while holding the brakes I can stall it if I really try. I was goofing around with that crate motor in the 79 seeing how low it would idle out of gear. I think it finnaly stalled about 350rpm /forums/images/icons/grin.gif That is one sweet running smooth as glass motor in that truck! Now if I could keep my wife from putting cheap gas in it then I wouldn't have to change the plugs out so often!
    Ahhh you can tell it's GA in that picture! All that pine straw on the driveway LOL.

12. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

Well when my blazer was running *sniff* i idled it at 600 to 650 when in gear thats about never had any problems with it. That is till i blew the motor hehe good reason to upgrade though

13. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Good eyes, Grim. Yea, I just blew all that darn pine straw off this afternoon. You can tell where my priorities are -- the 77 Jimmy with the sh!t ball paint is in the garage and the 98 F-150 (I know, I know) which you can't see in the pic is in the driveway underneath all those pine trees. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

So you just screwed that into the plastic? I thought of doing this but was affraid it wouldn't be strong enough.

15. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yep, went right into the plastic. I pre-drilled and then used a screw about, oh, a little less than half and inch. The bracket isn't completely flush to the plastic, I kind of did it on an angle so the tach wouldn't point up at a 45-60 degree angle. The tach holds in the position you see but it does rotate on that screw only when you use your hand -- haven't had any problems though w/ it and I did a little wheeling w/ it on the other day --- stayed exactly like you see which made me happy.

I was thinking I might remove that bracket and heat it up on something so I can bend/twist it so I can remount it w/ that bracket flush to the plastic. But for now, it's fine.