Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tach installation ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr.LaHoyaSunset, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I bought a Tach for my truck, and ran into a problem... I bought it a few months ago, and had to leave the truck in the caring hands of my dad when i went to basic training. Here is the problem. I have no idea how to install it. It is a 5in tach, and i have an automatic tranny for my 79 k5.
    I PM'd the guy i bought it from, but he hasnt replied, so im asking all you guru's and for any advice you have. I incredibly appreciate your help y'all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Depending on how the base of the tach is made you can mount it on the colum with a radiator clamp. That;s how I have it on the 75. on the 88 Burb I couldn't do that so I hung it uner the dash under the radio. I'm mor concerned with see what my RPM's are under load so wasn't a priority that it be up high for gear jamming.
    On the 75 it blockes the sgear indicator but it was broken anyway LOL.
    [​IMG]

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Did it come with any wires? It should come with wires, and they should hook up to the distributor. I dont know aobut on a 79, but on my 87 with electroinc dist., the wires hook into the back of the dist. I dont know aobut yours, but it hooks somewhere on the dist i know. Look around on here, im sure this has been covered before. If you dont find anything, do a search on the internet with google, or yahoo, and im sure oyu can find it. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yep, should have one wire for dizzy, one to wire to an ignition hot plug in the fuse box, one ground wire, and maybe another one for the backlight, if equipped.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, should have one wire for dizzy, one to wire to an ignition hot plug in the fuse box, one ground wire, and maybe another one for the backlight, if equipped.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree you should basically have a hot wire, ground wire and a wire that goes to the distributer..... on the distributor there is a spot that should say tach.... brb lemme go look at my truck the front clip is off so it is easy to get in there....

WOW... didnt realize it was gonna come out clear....

here is a pic for ya..
    http://68.45.114.100/distributor.jpg

pic is HUGE but you can see where it says tach and bat(tery)
    if file opens then explorer squeezes it down... just click on the pic and a square should showup on the lower right of your screen.. .click it for fullsize....
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I don't think 87-up distributors have the convenient little tach port. So where would someone like me with an 88' plug in the tach wire? Then again, I'll soon be getting an MSD 6A ignition box which has a tach port in it anyway.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Here's another idea of how to mount it
    [​IMG]

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

txsize, howd you mount that? looks cool, im sick of cutting my knee on the hose clamp on the column

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    txsize, howd you mount that? looks cool, im sick of cutting my knee on the hose clamp on the column

[/ QUOTE ]

that is why i am buying a parts truck with the tach in the dash.... factory tach baby!!!!! and i will basically scrap my 5" monster tach..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think 87-up distributors have the convenient little tach port. So where would someone like me with an 88' plug in the tach wire? Then again, I'll soon be getting an MSD 6A ignition box which has a tach port in it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ] i have an 89', there is a wire(red, i think) coming out of the dist. its like 4 inches long and has a plug on the end.

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just looked under my hood. its a white wire that comes out of the coil.

12. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just looked under my hood. its a white wire that comes out of the coil.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about putting it in place of the monster gas guage. The 5" guages fit very well in the 2 big holes. check this out, www.fullsizechevy.com. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i have my tach setup like grim's a hose clamp on the steering colum, works great, just small anough to allow me to see the gas gauge and spedo, mine is a sunpro 2, and i use mine to see what my revs are when im in the mud because i really hate gettting the revs up to 5k rpm on a stock motor from 1987 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Heres mine, it mounts to the side of the pillar using the screw that holds the trim on. [​IMG]

16. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How about putting it in place of the monster gas guage. The 5" guages fit very well in the 2 big holes. check this out, www.fullsizechevy.com. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    rjf, that link takes you to the main page there...doesnt help much.. i looked in the interior forums and didnt see a post about it..

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep,oops, /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I forgot it's www.73-87.com, sorry guys

18. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

hey guys, thanks for the great ideas, I really appreciate it,
    quick question though, on the automatic tranny, do the wires just plug into the ground? more precisely, I have absolutely no idea how to put the wires in properly... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    any advice would help me out tons.
    thanks,

19. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[​IMG]
    I put mine in where the fuel gauge used to be. Just four wires: distributor, switched 12V, ground and dimmer.