Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tach Installation ?'s for 85

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SAVAGE1, Nov 2, 2000.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Tach Installation ?\'s for 85

Tried to install an AutoMeter Monster Tach last night and ran into a problem. One of the wires is supposed to be run from the Tach to the negative terminal of the starter coil. On my rig, the coil is part of the distributor cap and sits right on top. After removing the cover I found three wires: red, yellow, and black(seems to be a ground wire). Since red usually means positive and the instructions said connect it to the negative, I was about to just hook it up to the yellow wire. I just wanted to check with you guys first before I short anything out. Has anyone else done this before?

BLAZE IT UP!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Tach Installation ?\'s for 85

On my tach I had 4 wires to hook up: Ground, Key hot (for backlit display), another keyed hot, and tach signal from the distributor. Its actually marked on the distributor. There is 'batt' and 'tach'. I just used a blade terminal and pushed it on the tach terminal. Presto, a tach that works.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Assuming you have an HEI, you do NOT need to remove the cover, as stated above you simply use a spade connector on the wire and plug it into the "ear" of the cap that sticks out. Says TACH right on it..........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My '90 should have HEI right? I always thought i did, but when i put my new plug wires on this spring, the cap doesn't look like the HEI cap. It has a wire going to the coil in the middle of it, not the coil in the middle of the cap.

90K5

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

This is a newer style hei with remote coil. Coil in mounted on intake right behind tbi.