Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tach Mounting Positions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Jun 19, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I want to put a tach in my blazer but i don't know where to put it. I don't want to drill into the dash pad if i can keep from it. I thought about putting it on the column but the one part moves and the part that doesn't i don't believe has enough clearance. Not to mention that this is a PIA to get to. So, anyone got any ideas/pictures. I will probably get the smaller 3-3/4.
    Thanks for the idea's.

James

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Well this is on the dash, but as youve found theres not too many places to put it.

Tach pic.

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I plan to get an 5" tach and install in the factory fuel guage spot then get the small factory fuel guage.I like all my stuff hidden and as theft proof as I can.I run topless and half doors.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine is on the column...blocking the right turn signal light, but i have a 4 speed truck. There is no rotating part of my column and there's no shifter to work around either.

I've seen them mounted on the 'A' pillar though, that would be my second choice...

Rene

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

mines going in the radio hole after i move the cd player to the new console

6. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i've got a nice one mounted on the turn signal block thingt on the collum, it sticks there with double sided tape

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Mines mounted to the column with a big pipe clamp. There's only about 1/8" clearance between the tach and the back of the steering wheel, but it works fine. Kinda have to look around it to see the fuel gauge and speedo..No biggy though. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. Highliner

Highliner Registered Member

Mine's mounted to the underside of the dash just beneath the ashtray. It faces slightly to the left and up at me. I run an oil pressure and water temp gauge further to the right of it (in front of the 4 wheel drive shifter). It's not a bad spot, fairly easy to see and I constantly glance at the pressure and temp guages anyway.

9. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

my speedo gear stripped inside the t-case...so i chucked the speedo and replaced it with a 5" monster tach...no speed limits offroad anyway. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

10. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Mines a 5 inch monster tach. I mounted it too the dash so its dosnt block my view of the other guages. If you do moun it to the dash, be sure to use some kinds of backing plate under the dash pad.

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

damn...isnt a 5 inch a little too big for the dash?

Later

12. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Mine is on the under side of the dash as well. It's below and just to the left of the ash tray. It's a 2" gauge so that location makes it so someone can still ride in the middle without kicking it. It's also far enough away from the skinny pedal that I don't bump it. I had and '80 truck with a big tach mounted in the same place but it always seemed like it was in the way so a big tach doesn't fit well in that location.

13. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

What about mounting it on the windsheild pillar in the corner like the ricers do? I have actually seen this on a K5 and it looked pretty sweet.

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I removed the driver's side A/C vent and installed a small tach there.

15. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

What about removing the whole ashtray assembly and mounting one their. Or just pull the ashtray itself out and put a small one inside it. That way you could flip it up for concealment.

16. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

the 5" tach is a nice tight fit into the stock dash panel.

the ashtray is where my air/fuel ratio guage is...just flip it down to fine tune the fi system.

17. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I have thought about Mounting it to the A-pillar but i'm not fond of drilling into it. I have allready lost one truck cab to rust and i don't want to have to worry about another one rusting out. This maybe a dumb question but is that plastic trim piece on the a-pillar strong enough to hold a smaller tach? I might try to mount it to one of the bolts that holds the dashpad on but that would take some brackets to make work. Thanks for the idea's Keep them coming.

James

18. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

pureinsanity's tach is a 5 inch and i mounted mine on the dash where his is. Fits fine

19. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Well in my case I have a multi color display which just looks too cool to place tucked away so I mounted it on the dash in the center of the truck right where the dash goes up over the stock display. It's highly visable and dosn't block my view when I'm wheel'in /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

20. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The biggest problem w/ putting it anywhere on the post is that you will lose some visibility. Where mine is I dont lose any of my view. The area it covers up from view is on the hood anyway. So I dont lose anything in front or to the side. When you go to install your tach, put it on the post, then put it where mine is and youll see the difference. No to mention it is right there in view, w/ out having to look away from the road or trail.