Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tach mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by st08x, Feb 2, 2003.

1. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i'm putting in a tachometer next week and i was deciding where i should mount it. a friend of mine has it tied to his steering column. where else would be a good mounting place?

My K-5

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I like them in the corrner of the dash appiler and windsheild makes for a nice view and you can still see the road/trail

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got mine on the dash in line with the pillar. It's a good spot. Drilled two holes in my dash /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and mounted it there. Out of line of sight, yet still visible with a quick glance. See it here.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I prefer it towards the center right where the dash drops off. Right here.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I actually mounted mine on the floor next to the tcase shifter. I like it where it is, but most people probably won't. Another reason I have in mounted there is because my tranny temp gauge is right there too, so I used dash light wire for the tcase to back light my tranny gauge and my tach. Not to mention it was easy to run the wires for the senders under the truck to the MSD box on my firewall and my sender for the tranny temp.

The nice thing about the 2 gauges together is if I look at the tach I also see and am aware of my trans temp and vice versa. Not to mention the tcase shifter location.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I am partial to the factory setup.

[​IMG]

Easy to see and out of the way. Now the small gas guage gets overlooked once in a while but I always carry 5 extra gallons in the back anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. st08x

st08x Registered Member

thanks a lot guys. i think i'm going with the center of the dash right where it curves down and angle it towards me. I also have a hole in my dash right over where a speaker should go. that way i can just run the wires through there and not make another hole.

My K-5

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Hey Kenny
    is that swap for the Factory tach a pain to put in? I just got one from Redfrog heres the info I have so far what do you think? Right here
    I'm running a 83K5 with mallory ign.

Eric

9. Highlander

My tach is next to the A-piller. for me it's great. But pretty soon I'll have the factory setup.

Eric

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Very easy deal to put in. With a complete housing from the factory you unplug the old one and plug in the new one. Run 3 wires for the tach (power, ground, and tach signal) with the seperate harness.

11. Highlander

Cool thanks Kenny
    Did you see the stuff? I was thinking of using the speedo with the trip meter. I need to ask Redfrog what year that stuff came out of I guess.