Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tach only works when headlights are off.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FL84K5, Jun 10, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I just finished hooking up my Auto Gage tach. I have the wire for the light for the tach hooked up to the instrument light fuse spot, and the main power wire hooked to the ignition fuse spot. The tach works fine when the truck is running and the headlights are off. As soon as I turn the lights on though, the tach dies. Why would cause it to stop working when the lights are on? Thanks

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I would guess that you have something wired incorrectly. Try disconecting the Tach light. Start the truck,
    make sure the tach is still OK, then turn on the headlights and see if the problem remains or goes away.

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Disconnected the tach light. Now the tach dosn't work period. Very strange.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Almost sounds like you may have the wires mixed up. I think you may have pulled the wire that feeds it and not the lite. Regardless it shouldnt shut down when the lites are on. I just wired mine to lite up all the time. I tied the hot wire and the lite wires together, and plugged it into a switched circut. Yeah Yeah I know thats not the way it should be but I was in a hurry to get going that day and didnt look for a lite circut. I havent had any problems w/ it yet. The tach in my Jeep I did the same way, simply because I was too lazy to look for the lite circut. It lasted 10 yrs like that till someone stole the tach out of it.

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

sounds like the time i installed my tach...i hooked my power wire to a power wire the previous owner had set up for a cb. little did i know it was run off the windsheild wiper relay. so every time it ran my tach would turn on and off intermittenly. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Turn out it was a bad ground. Got a good ground and now it works fine. Thanks for the replies.