Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TACH w/ Auto trans? do-able?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Jul 12, 2001.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Wanted to install a Tachometer in my truck----has 350 engine-- high miles-->100k--Is a Tach neccessary when crawling--has AHEM--Np208--(crap, but super low and in great shape!) 700-r4 trans...is this doable?

-Dv8

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

First off, fill out your profile to give us a little help. Second I have a '90 with 700 R4 and 241, and I have an Autometer tach installed. So I dont see why you couldnt do it. I think a tach is necessary for what ever you do with your truck. Wether its crawlin' muddin, trails, towing, or whatevere you do with it, it is nice to see what you are actually turning to keep from possibly over revving and really screwing something up. Just my $.02

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I have one on my 88 with a 350 and 700r4 combo. I am glad i put it on. If i am crawling around or playing in mud and shifting through manually on the column i like being able to keep up with what my rpms are. it is definitely doable.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

You certainly can install a tach into your truck. Just go get one, and check out the instructions. (NOT TO SEEM SARCASTIC AT ALL)[​IMG] They are very easy to install. Usually 4 or less wires.

<font color=red> Check out my truck @ </font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</A> [​IMG]

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Nope can't be done. NOT J/K
    Wire up the tach to the ignition, 12v, Gnd.
    Mount is to the streeing colum/dash, and your done.
    Good luck

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The tachometer does not run off the transmission, therefor it does not matter if you have a manual or automatic. Most manuals came with a tach to help determine shift points and/or when redline would occur. Automatics did this "automatically" so a tachometer was not necessitated unlike you are like me and go through the automatic gears manually (i.e. 1,2,D,OD) etc. When you buy a tach it should tell you how to hook it up per your application. I had a terminal on my HEI distributer for a tach. Does anybody know if you can add a tach to a distributerless ignition system vehicle. I know they use crank triggers, but can you tap into them?

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Auto or manuel has nothing to do with it. The tach will have four wires a ground, a twelve volt feed, a wire for lighting it when your light are on and the last wire attaches to your distributor. If you have hei then on the cap where the coil is there will be two plugs from underneath. One says battery and one says tach. You plug in there. Give it twelve volts off of a switched fuse, ground it and hook the light wire up to the fuse that runs your head or parking lights and you are in business.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

8. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Next question is? What type-- Autometer?

Somthing from those Summit guys or JEGS? or Pepgirls?

I want a basic setup here--
    Budgeting for a bigger engine soon(or rebuilt, but thats another story!)
    -Dv8

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My brother installed one before I got the K5. I have no idea why he put it by the e brake, but it works for tuning etc, but I can't see while driving very good. I'd like to have autometer mounted on the dash. Check out the pic:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/011/gr/Cp/ze/VD95466.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/011/gr/Cp/ze/VD95466.jpg</A>

Murphy's Laws on Life:
    "A bird in the hand is worth three Kleenex."

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get whatever kind of tach you want. They all work the same. Mine's an Autometer only because I picked it up from an electric store for $25. It's supposed to be $100 tach.

Like they said, only a few wires. Two grounds, one headlight switch so you can see it in the dark, one to the cap, and one to switched +12v.

Yes, you can install a tach in a vehicle with distributorless. You just have to tap into the computer somewhere. You can pretty much put a tach in anything, you just need to know how to do it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles