Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tach Wiring Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87K54WD, Oct 29, 2001.

1. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if autopart stores sell the end connector that will fit in the fuse box under the left side of the dash. Also, does anyone know if one of those empty slots taps into the lights (white wire I believe) (when the lights are turned on ... so the tach will light up as well)? Thanks.

2. Alex

Alex Registered Member

87K54WD, get yourself a test light at the your favorite auto store. They’re inexpensive. Then, check which empty slot has power when you turn the lights on. Then, yes, you can buy the connectors. However, they’re a tad different. I tapped into my fuse box (on my Toyo) for back up lights and used a round female connector. It’s in there snug and I can still pull it out if I need to… (that's what she said…).

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Alex on 10/29/01 08:53 AM.</FONT></P>

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Ya might wanna look into a wire tap connector or a "Scotchlock" type connector to splice into a existing instrument panel light wire. I believe the wire you will need is grey...white is for dome and courtesy lights.....at least on my '74. I'm not sure there would be a good place at the fuse box to tap into for the light. Autozone etc. have the splice in type connectors.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

on my 90 I just used spade connectors

and on the fuse block there is a red ACC slot for the power and a green lamp slot for the light wire and there was a wire hanging off my coil that I used another spade connector on then just grounded it behind the dash

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>