Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tach wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noJeepshere, Nov 12, 2003.

1. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

ok pulled an autogauge tach out of a 79 chev pickup. four wires, black is ground, umm... what are the red, green, and white wires for? and where do i need to get the signal from? what wires do i need? blah blah blah yada yada yada. thanks guys.
    CHEVYs rule, but GMCs are better /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Here is the Installation instruction for a Autogage 3 3/4" Tachometer Model #2300,2301 & 2302

White= Dash lights (12v+)
    Red= Switched (12v+) source on fuse box (or add inline fuse to switched source)
    Black= Ground(12v-)
    Green= to Tach Terminal

*They show both the Black and the Green going into the engine compartment (but I just gounded mine inside the truck).

Also open it up and make sure switch inside is set to the correct engine cylender type.

Hope this helps.....

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Yeah, what he said! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, your '79 should be an HEI and there's actually a place on top of your coil cover, in the center of the distributor cap, marked 'tach'. It's right next to the power lead that goes into the coil. It is a male spade inside (you won't be able to see it inside the cover) and you can use a regular female spade connector if you don't have the fancy-schmancy GM connector. You'll just have to fish around a little...

Wow. That's about as long an explanation as I can give. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What they all said. When I did mine I think I wired the dash lights into the power wire, so my tach light is always on when the truck is on (used an ignition power source).