Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TACHOMETER FOR THE 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JORGE, May 4, 2001.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Somebody has installed a tachometer in his Diesel Blazer?
    Is there some kind of tachometer for the hollow in the gauge panel,under the voltmeter?I,ve heard about the Borg Warner.
    I should need to take the connection in the alternator,correct?

2. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Autometer sells a diesel specific tachometer. With a converter from Dakota Digital(www.dakotadigital.com, $95), you can use any gas engine tach.

3. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Yes,i,ve been looking the Dakota,s page.I suppouse the blazer alternator hasn,t W therminal.Should be neccesary the Fly-wheell adapter?Thanks.

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

You can use a flywheel adapter IF you can fine one. They are few and far between. That's how the stock 6.2 tach worked and that option was very rare. Only a handful of 6.2 owners have it. I don't know if the 6.2 alternator has that W-terminal that the Dakota Digital adapter needs. I'd find out exactly what year alternator is on your 6.2 and maybe ask a dealer. I know you probably don't have a dealer over there, so maybe someone here could help. Go to The Diesel Page(www.62-65dieselpage.com) and go into the Light Truck forum and ask. Someone there is bound to know.

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I put a DATCON tach in my 6.2 mounted it to the moving part of the column, so i rotates into acton when in drive. It is small and does not get in the way of anything. It is driven off of the alternator. You have to take the alternator apart and attach a wire to the diode trio. It is very easy to do, then just run that wire into the tach. Let me know if you need any more help. TORI

'89 K5..... 4" Tuff Country EZ Ride. 33's and a "Colorado K5.com" sticker. This site rocks!!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

6. MasterChief

MasterChief Newbie

Where can I find the DATCON Tach you mentioned? I had a tach from JC Whitney, but it broke and it attached to the alt diodes just as you said, but they no longer sell that model, do you know a source for your tach?

Jerry

7. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I WILL LOOK FOR THEIR INFORMATION WHEN I GET HOME, AND LET YOU KNOW.

TORI

New '90 K5 sitting in my driveway !!! YIPPPIEE !!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Isspro makes a magnetic tac with 2 little magnets you mount to the harmonic balancer. I got mine for $133 from Diesel Injection Service - www.dieselpage.com. I haven't installed mine yet but I imagine a magnetic tac would be the most accurate way to go. I think its also easier to install cause I've heard you have to partialy dissasemble the alternator to install an alternator tac.

9. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I have an in dash GM tach which I plan to use. Has anyone looked at the gas tach signal
    on a scope? I was thinking of getting the vacuum pump which has the ESS
    module on it and maybe building a proper circuit to drive the tach using the
    ESS signal.

I looked at my '85 diesel wiring schematic in the factory manual and saw no
    references to a diesel tach circuit in that year.

SteveB

10. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Gale Banks Engineering makes and entirely bolt on Tach kit for the 6.2L. Banks part # 64003. Typically $245.

David Oliver
    '85 'burban - 6.2L J NA
    5.5"lift, 35"BFGs
    *B&B 6.2L TD and beefed T-700 coming soon*

11. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Just finished upp instaling one of these yesterday. Took a total of 3 hours. Basicly it's bending a bracket to go from one of the front oil-pan bolts, around the flywheel? and infront of the harmonic balancer. On the end of the bracket is a reader, that reads each time a magnet flies by. The two magnets are to be epoxy-glued to the balancer 180 dg apart. I used my sandblaster nozle and took the surface down to the bare metal first. A couple of raps with grindingpaper on the magnets.Then I mixed upp the epoxy and made big pockets of the glue for the magnet to sit in. The glue should ooze out around the magnet when installed.

Tested it today after letting it dry for almost 20 hours, and there it was !!

I will document this with pictures, and put it up on my web-page sometime before the weekend.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

12. jarednbonie

jarednbonie Registered Member

I need to install a tach as well in my Sub. Meanwhile though, can anyone give me an idea of how high I'm revving? I have an '87 Sub w/ 6.2. I'm not sure what gears I have in the rear end (which makes this more difficult). I've heard though that 3.42s are real common. I put a TH400 tranny in it and I have 35" BFG muds. The engine sounds pretty revv'd at 65mph, but it's hard to tell with loud tires, etc. I'm new to the diesel too, so I'm not sure if it's revving too high, or just fine. Can anyone with a similar setup give me an approximation of rpms at these speeds?

'87 Suburban, 6.2, 35"s

13. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I'' seeing 2 000 at 45 in 3'rd. In OD it goes down to almost 1400. I would guess 2500 or 3000 should be right ?!

Maybe I helped some

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>