Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tachometer Hookup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Jan 31, 2004.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

What would be the best tachometer for under $100, and how would it be hooked up? /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

There are a lot for under $100...over $100 and you're getting into the monster tach's by Autometer with the shift lights and memory recall.

I have an AutoGage (made by Autometer) that I got from www.summitracing.com for around $50. It's 0-8000 rpm which I like because with the rpms our trucks see, the amount of needle movement on tachs with a range up to 10,000 or 12,000 is too little for me.

Hookup is simple. One wire goes to the white wire coming off of the distributor. Another wire goes to a ground. A third wire goes to a 12 volt power source, and the last wire goes to your dash lights (I used an opening in the fuse block labeled "dash" - that way the light dims with the rest of the dash lights). And, of course, all the wires will be labeled as to where they go.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I've had whatever ones Checker sells (Suntach or somethin like that?) and it worked rather well. Hell I even used it intstead of a speedometer for well over a year. Good luck to ya.

Allan

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

SunPro is the "generic" brand around here - can be found at Autozone and the local farm supply store.

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

This a little overkill! AutoMeter Setup! Bling, Bling!
    [​IMG]
    Bill

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i got a friend that did somethin like that in his show truck. he said he spent over $750 alone on the gauges....kinda doesnt seem worth it when the stock ones will tell ya most of what ya need /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

NITRO

7. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

I dont wont to sound retared asking this but is there a point in having a tack in a automatic.Im not trying to hijack either

Thanks
    Clint

8. Tweetysuarus

You can still over rev your engine in the mud,snow, and ice and not know what's going on without a tach! I didn't spend quite that much for the guages, more like around $450.00.
    Bill

9. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

So you are saying it wouldnt be a bad idea what would you consider over reving in the rpm range.

Thanks
    CLint

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

BLING BLING showoff!!
    [ QUOTE ]
    This a little overkill! AutoMeter Setup! Bling, Bling! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    The only problem i have had running the "less than 100.00" type tachs is that they don't hold up to alot of bouncing and vibrations. My old sun super tach use to drop the light bulb out all the time!! Would get stuck behind the tach needle. The "top of the line" autometer "pro comp" are supposed to be able to take the abuse!
    But who needs a tach! no time to watch it the way I drive! REV LIMITER!!
    saved my engine lots a times!!

11. Tweetysuarus

It all depends on what your motor is set up to do, then you set your redline accordingly.
    Bill

12. Tweetysuarus

[ QUOTE ]
    BLING BLING showoff!!
    [ QUOTE ]
    This a little overkill! AutoMeter Setup! Bling, Bling! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    The only problem i have had running the "less than 100.00" type tachs is that they don't hold up to alot of bouncing and vibrations. My old sun super tach use to drop the light bulb out all the time!! Would get stuck behind the tach needle. The "top of the line" autometer "pro comp" are supposed to be able to take the abuse!
    But who needs a tach! no time to watch it the way I drive! REV LIMITER!!
    saved my engine lots a times!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats something I thought alot about, a rev limiter. Hows it working for you?
    Bill

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i have a sunpro tach, was in the truck when i bought it, clamped to the column, and the only problem i have is once in a while it wont work right and ill wiggle the wires into the back of it and voila, works fine.. i have never had it come apart on me or malfunction other than that.. and i have bounced the truck pretty hard quite a few times.. if and when i replace it though, it will be getting a nice autometer tach and a remote shift light..

14. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

saved me a alot when I was racing my cars. add bouncing around in the truck, hammering through a trail, get a little air born, watch how quick it will go to 8,000 RPM!! I have an MSD 6al with a 5200 pill in it.

My buddy had a tell tale pro comp tach in his race car, 9,200 with his 488 BBC! well built, it lived! but limiter went on after that!!

15. bigd652

bigd652 Registered Member

How do you hook up a rev limiter?