Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tachometers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lectric80, Apr 18, 2007.

1. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

Where does the Tach lead connect on the HEI ignition. I have a conflict with the instructions on my Autometer in that it says do not connect the green sense wire to ground, then it says to connect it to the negative side of the coil. Well the HEI doesn't have an external coil so I am just wondering what others are doing.

2. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

There are 4 wires on your tack. Black, red, white, green.

Black - ground

Red - ignition hot source

White - lights

Green - Follow the main wire that leads to the HEI cap and right next to that is where the tach hooks to, it is marked on the top of the cap. It takes a spade connector if you don't have the factory connector.

3. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

Ok, well it is dark now so I will look at it tomorrow night when I wake up.

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It might be easier for you to take off the cap and turn it upside down to see the connector

5. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

I will be looking at it tomorrow to get it all set up. Right now I need to pull the cover below the steering wheel to look at the vacuum line for the cruise control so routing the wires should be really easy with lots of room. I will pull the cap off and take a look, then get the tach wired in. Probably see where the connector is and run a test before installing it. It is small enough to fit perfectly on the right side of the column and not block my view of the turn signal indicators, or the shift indicator. It will block the seat belt light, but I rarely forget to put on my seat belt anyway, and the light isn't what reminds me.

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

you should be able to tell once you see the side of the cap, should be a no brainer really. Its labeled tach right where it connects to.

7. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

Thanks for all the help guys. I was really nervous but it was much simpler than I ever thought it would be. Works great, and more accurately tells me how fast I am going, than the dang speedometer is. Now just to correct the speedometer issue and everything will be working great.