Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tackling p/u truck sliders...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Apr 9, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Alright, I am tired of fearing smashing up my cab with rocks, so I designed some sliders and am going to start on them tomorrow. :hack: :weld: :grind: I am only going to protect the cab for now. I plan on using 2x2x.120" square tubing for the most part. Any tips I should know prior to this?? I'll keep you posted on progress. :truck:

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I look forward to seeing what you do. I worry about my saddle tanks more than my body, already put one of them right on a rock.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you smack down hard on the 2x2x.120 you will dent the tube and you might also bend it if you hit hard enough. 2x2 is also kinda narrow. I would recommend 2x3x.188 as the minimum for sliders.

My sliders are 2 pieces of 1.5x1.5x.250 welded side by side to get 1.5x3" It is heavier then most sliders but they aren't going to bend and I netted another 1/2" of clearence over most people's sliders.

Harley

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Mine are made from 4" x 2" x .250 tubing. I argee, .188 wall should be the minimum.

5. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

In the spirit of saving weight and being light, I smash the cab! :screwy: Stock rockers slide pretty good hehe

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i used 2x3 .125 wall tube to replace my rusted rocker, i wish i would have gone with 3x3, i have more clearance, but my tank hangs below the rocker.

id like to see how you braced them

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

TJ, ever thought about mounting your stock tank to the bulkhead of the bed? a little reinforcement, and some easy modification to the filler tube, and it should work great.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

actually i have thought about making a fuel cell to fit under the toolbox, but that is where i plan to put the onboardair tank if i ever get around to that. if i put it behind the tool box, then its taking up bed space. and yes i still use my truck as a truck.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i think the easiest thing to do about the saddle tanks is to remove the 8 bolts holding the bed on, and put a blazer tank in between the fuel rails in front of the diff

my body lift made it easier for the fill routing, i just fill it in the wheel well

10. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

are you just building them under the cab or are you going to go under the box a bit too. it'll be good to see a set on a truck. Thats one thing i have on my longs list of mods :grin: