Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tacoed my Hood

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Oct 17, 2001.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I just got the dreaded bent hood while trying to close it last night. It folded right in half. I was able to straighten it with. Luckily the bedliner I have sprayed all over flexes so no cracking or anything.

I've seen kits to fix this, but I was wondering if you guys have done anything else. I was thinking I could just buy some 1/4 metal and use some self tapping screws and make my own supports. What do you think?

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

a friend of mine just welded some 1 inch angle iron to the hood edges ( so that the angle iron looks like a V, and the 2 upper edges are welded to the hood) to fix his... its a lot stronger then the strap that they sell, and only costs a few bucks to do.

I just keep my hinges well oiled, and can close my hoods with 1 hand. :-P

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

3. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

I welded 1/2" angle iron on mine.....

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm>www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm</a>

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Yeah, but us folks who care about the paint dont want to weld the hood.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

he welded them to the Underside of the hood, on the hoods subframe of sheetmetal. it still has the stock paint on it, and you'd never know he welded them on, unless he opened the hood, and showed you. unless you have a wierd hood, it should be made from 2 or 3 compressed sheets of metal, to try and give it some strength, with that center Crumplezone crapline going on. weld it to the interior part of the hood, and you'll never burn the paint... unless you use a 440 3 phase welder, or oxy torch and a coat hanger... :-)

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>