Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tacoma towing K-20

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddNutz, Feb 3, 2004.

1. MuddNutz

MuddNutz Registered Member

I think I already know the answer to this question, but I will ask anyway. I need to haul a project K-20 about 350 miles. It has no motor is it and i was wondering if its possible to tow it on a large tow dolly behind a 2003 Toyota tacoma v-6 4x4. I think the tow rating is around 5000 pounds on the tacoma. Do you think this would work ok for a one time only thing.

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

lol,, I towed a k30 around 120 miles for 2 days behind a stock bronco with a tow dolly.

was scary and my first time towing /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

I would not do it again /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

A good weight distributing hitch + anti sway and trailer brakes.

The chances of you having one of those just for a one time usage is virtually nill-. Id be wary. maybe at 20mph I wouldnt but for the distnace your talking about, a swift gust might pull you to the side.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

No. For the reasons listed and because its unsafe period. I dont mean to come off like an ass, but I have seen too many accidents with trailers and tow dollies that could have been prevented.

John

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would not do it. The K-20 and trailer combined is way over that little trucks weight limit. It is a recipie for disaster.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

On a dolly I'd say yes. It prob weighs a couple hundred lbs and a K20 w/o an engine is going to be under 5k lbs. Personally, I'd rather put it on a trailer that has breaks and be a little over the tow rating.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A guy in our club tows his Sami on a dolly behind a Tacoma and says he feels like he's pushing his luck a little. He's also had it jackknife on the highway before.

I just can't recommend doing this.