Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tactical shotgun stocks, anybody have one?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 88K5Jimmy, Nov 12, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

First of all I have a Remington Express model 870 youth shotgun. I would like to switch the stock to a tactical/fold down type. Mainly for the coolness factor but I am worried that it will not provide very much recoil protection. I was thinking of something like this
    [​IMG]
    minus the front pistol grip, just have a regular grip at the the front.

Anybody have/used a tactical/fold down stock? Pro's, con's?

Thanks
    Ross

2. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Very, very handy. Very, very abusive in the recoil department. Also, it is fairly difficult to shoot pistol-gripped shotguns with any accuracy. Think hitting one to two FEET high at seven yards as normal.

A regular stock is usually the best way to go. But, the folders don't cost too much and you could always ditch it if you didn't like it.

Also, the folder is only legal to install on a shotgun that was made before '94. Love the Clintons, don't you?

Of course, you mileage may vary /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this is what I have on my mossberg...

pic1

its not a folder... but i dont really like shooting higher powered shotgun rounds with just a pistol grip anyway so I never saw much point in getting a folding/collapsing stock for it. Only other advantage is concealment... and even with a trench coat Im not big enuff to conceal a 12 ga. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

at any rate, having a real pistol grip+stock helps control recoil on shottys a LOT. I highly recommend one. I can really blast away with this baby one there and recovery between shots seems to be quicker... just feels like you have much more control over the gun which is always good. Any, chaote makes great stocks IMO, so if you must have a folder go for one of theirs...

folder style 1

or

folder style 2

j

4. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, the folder is only legal to install on a shotgun that was made before '94. Love the Clintons, don't you?Of course, you mileage may vary /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

this might not be a problem soon enuff... AWB dies in 2004 unless congress/pres pass an extension. Peloci is pushing the pres to sign a bill and the pres said he would in 2000 to help get elected. BUT the house reps will most likely never pass such a bill and congressional democrats (mostly from the south) dont want the issue brought up... so it seems that the assault weapons bans of 94 will expire... thanks in no small part to democrats. lol! irony. at any rate, i hope that the manufacturers are ready for mass production again... cause I want hicap glock mags for $14.99 again. lol!!!!

j

5. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, it is fairly difficult to shoot pistol-gripped shotguns with any accuracy. Think hitting one to two FEET high at seven yards as normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you just need more practice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I think your wrong on the shotgun stock law. I am pretty sure as long as the shotgun is pump action you can do whatever you want. If the shotgun is semi auto then you have limitations. I would have to look up the facts again to be 100% sure, but that is how I remember it.

I personally want to get a pistol grip stock that is all one piece, non-folding.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's a little tidbit for y'all to chew on................

88K5-Shooting the OSU football for stinking so bad is over the line...........j/k /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Serious though, back in the day when I was a gun afficiondaooooaoaaoa, I had/still have a Mossberg 500 with just the pistol grip and one day I was out shooting with a friend who did trap comps. After seeing that I couldn't hit the broadside of the barn from the inside (still can't that's what the jarheads are for /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), he gave me a few tips, using some of his trap skills and it really helped me out a lot.

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

With 6 in the side saddle and six in the pipe all of them 3" 00 rounds I can wield it with one hand no sweat.
    I just ordered a Stream Light attachment.

9. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With 6 in the side saddle and six in the pipe all of them 3" 00 rounds I can wield it with one hand no sweat.
    I just ordered a Stream Light attachment.

[/ QUOTE ]
    great... a fixed source of light gives somebody a great target to shoot back at. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. jekbrown

lol, yeah them tactical lights work both ways. they have their uses in some situations. of course if its an intruder you are dealing with, it'd prolly be better if it was darker... remember, you know the layout of the house and he doesnt. so while he is tripping over a foot stool, you can blast his azz with 00 buck. lol! give the guy enuff light and he might actually be able to shoot back. not good.

j

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    while he is tripping over a foot stool, you can blast his azz with 00 buck

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer a beanbag round for the first shot...
    After a shouted "STOP OR I WILL SHOOT YOU!" command, a beanbag round or two to the chest and/or legs will nicely de-motivate most fools. And if the jackass keeps pressing the issue, then comes the buckshot (assuming he's armed). This way, you can show in court that you attempted to use non-lethal force to defuse the situation before ventilating the dumb, non-compliant fawkstick.

12. jekbrown

if I pull the trigger inside the walls of my own home, I am aiming to kill. Last thing I need is to be messing around with non-lethals and get myself killed. Not to mention that if you hit the guy with a non-lethal round, you'd prolly find yourself in court and sued for $89459847857485784534767563 dollars. Better to just kill the guy... atleast then you dont have him making up some crap about how the fight went down.

j

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hmm I forgot I responded to this post..
    I have a Butler Creek folding stock, the pistol grip is very comfortable and I have full control of it, with the stock out the recoil is not any worse than a normal one.
    I must have had Stream Light on the brain when I responded to this (I have 6 of their lights).
    The light I ordered is made by Sure Fire
    [ QUOTE ]
    great... a fixed source of light gives somebody a great target to shoot back at.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am assuming from that statement that you use the pray and spray method.
    These lights have a pressure switch and an on/off switch.
    I suppose in a perfect situation you would be able to see what you are aiming at. But since this is the real world that does not always happen.
    You will not always be inside, or in a well lit setting.
    If you are in a situation where you have to arm yourself things tend to happen very fast.
    Here is something to chew on..
    A few years ago my neighbor heard a racket in his shop, it is late at night and being in the country it is usualy pitch black out.
    He sees someone coming out of his shop and tells the guy to stop.
    The guy turns and he sees what appears to be a gun in his hand which he says looked to be pointed at him, just before he squeezes off a shot he flashes his light and all it is is a 14 year old holding his cordless drill.
    Or the incedent I had last year.
    I had sorta beat up my sisters boyfriend in front of her and humiliated the crap out of him.
    he leaves me a bunch of messeges on my answering machine saying he is gonna get me bla bla bla. I don't put much stock in it but I know he has weapons and is a dumfuk so I take precautions anyway.
    It is about 2am and I have the windows open and am sitting at the puter, I see a laser dot hit the screen and I grab my shotgun turn hit the light and am ready to shoot when I see my buddy standing there aiming a heat gun with a laser on it at me. If it hadn't been for the rigged Mag light I have no doubt that in the heat of the moment I would have mistaken him for dumshit and filled his chest with 15 9mm balls.
    I am pretty sure his wife and kids would have understood and all would be groovy. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    If you are going to aim and shoot to kill you had better be damn certain that what you hit is not gonna be a fatal mistake. It would be a crying shame to blow away a good friend or a stupid kid on the grounds that "it looked like a gun"
    While you may get off in court you would still have to carry that around for the rest of your life.
    Maybe it is just me but I have a nasty habit of hitting what I aim at and I like to know exactly what I am shooting at.
    Just a lil something to think about.

14. jekbrown

ya know, considering the examples ya gave... now Im convinced that I dont need/want a tactical light on my shotty. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif punk kid theifs/tresspassers and screwed up sister's-boyfriends need to be shot sometimes.

j

15. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    while he is tripping over a foot stool, you can blast his azz with 00 buck

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer a beanbag round for the first shot...
    After a shouted "STOP OR I WILL SHOOT YOU!" command, a beanbag round or two to the chest and/or legs will nicely de-motivate most fools. And if the jackass keeps pressing the issue, then comes the buckshot (assuming he's armed). This way, you can show in court that you attempted to use non-lethal force to defuse the situation before ventilating the dumb, non-compliant fawkstick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bean bags are okay but I prefer a 37 MM with nut rounds.

John