Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tahoe for a tow rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I tried a search but the results came back about mostly diesels...SO I guess I have to ask.

Heres the deal, Ive been needing a tow rig for quite a while and have been holding off to get the wifes car paid off first. Well were basicly bored w/ her current car and want to get somethin else. I can say no and shell stay in the Grand Am GT or Ive got her convinced to get a Tahoe. She will NOT go for a Sub so I could get a 3/4 ton, already tried. That extra 18 inches makes all the difference I guess. (man that doesnt sound right on so many levels. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

Basicly this opens me up to being able to get another rig, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif since I wont be buying a tow rig/DD. Ill get a Sami to build for tight trails, crawling and DD duties so I can leave the Blazer for hard core mud chuckin.

OK what do yall think of a Tahoe towing a 6000 pound Blazer and trailer. And yes I have weighed it and in trail trim its over 6k. (5450 emptied of trail gear, no carpet or interior.) I know it wont drag it up hills real swift or get as good of mileage of a diesel, but whats yalls opinion on whether it will survive the occasional tow duty, few times a yr at best w/ a good tranny cooler? Just till I can get a real tow rig. Diesel...1 ton...ETC.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

tahoe XL...heh without the burban name, but the same thing...a little longer for added stability when towing...big block power and go with it...trans cooler, maybe an oil cooler, hell slotted rotors wouldnt hurt...and chop n stop hubcaps for the mall trips..LOL

3. Pure Insanity

Actually I tried first for a P/S Excursion but that was promptly shot down. Then I went Sub, and we "agreed" on a Tahoe.

BTW this will prob be a 99 and older rig w/ a good ole fashioned 350. Unless I can get a screaming deal on financing for a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Confedneck

hey, hit me up i can get you a deal on a brandy new excursion with a sick-0 powercroak diesel...

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We have a 2dr Yukon we pull a 28' jayco with

Its a stock towing package 350 vortec, does pretty well

6. Pure Insanity

Nope it would have to be a 7.3 P/S. Ive heard the 6.0 is problematic. Cant take upgrades, running away...

But this is beside the point. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Confedneck

6.0 is no worse than a 7.3...both are international motors using ford injectors and controllers which is the main problem...almost get the 7.3 right, then change to an untested engine...doesnt ford feel stupid...well im sure theres a couple 7.3s left on the lot...ill see tomorrow just for the hell of it...

8. Pure Insanity

A guy I work w/ hauls a rather big boat, not sure of the size 20 some odd feet, to the gulf and back about every weekend. About a 40 mile trip for where he launches from and he says it works but not great.

My thinking is boats will be more aerodynamic than a barn shaped Blazer and that helps some. But the weight is still there w/ a boat. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. Pure Insanity

Dont waste the steps, its gonna be the wifes family truckster and she wont get something that big. Im doing good to get her to agree on a Tahoe. LOL!

Its mostly where she works and parks, a Sub or Ex would hang its butt out into the road that she parks on.

10. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

What's the tow rating for the Tahoe XL? I figure you will be pushing the limit with the K5 and a trailer. What does your trailer weigh? If you do it, I would definitely consider a trailer with electric brakes and putting a brake controller in the Tahoe. 8000lbs can really push you down the road coming to a normal stop, I can't imagine having to make a panic stop without trailer brakes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Pure Insanity

Im gonna be looking into the tow rating. Should be around 8K Id think. Electric brakes will be a definate.

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I towed with a '00 2wd 1500 Silverado 5.3l, auto, 3.73 rear. The wheelbase hurt it but it pulled no problem. I now have the crew cab short bed 4wd and because of the wheelbase, and maybe weight it pulls smoother but about the same. I would think if your not going cross country with it you will be OK. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

13. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

the vortec 350's pull much better than the 5.3's

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lets see... 255 HP VS 300 HP. I think I'd rather have the 5.3.

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Around here, we get alot of people towing with Tahoes.
    Most of 'em are over-loaded, but they still seem to hold up pretty well - for the most part.

When they do let go, it's usualy the ten-bolt that gives it up. The 8.5 ring gear just can't take that kind of punishment for long, constant trips. Not enough meat on the gear and bearings - so, they heat up and self distruct.
    The current model Tahoes, seem to be far-more reliable - as I have noticed much fewer in the shop with rear gear problems, in comparison to the past C/K bodys.
    They are running a slightly larger ring-gear (8.6, if I recall correctly) and Grape sented Synthetic gear oil.

G.M. has just issued 0% financeing for 72 months on new Tahoes and Suburbans. Thats incredible !

Unfortunetly, (for me) it has also shot the bottom out of the used car market, used car priceing is droping quickly.
    I might add, used cars can be financed at 3.9% (If I recall correctly, which is an great rate in it's self).

It's an awesome time to buy - not so fantastic time to sell (depending on which end you happen to be).

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Grape sented Synthetic gear oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    "Do not breathe fumes or vapors"

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

G.M. Marketing guy:
    "We need a hook, something that stands out... Oooooo... I got it.. New Grape Sent !"

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The 327 is more of a revving engine if I recall. I think it has more HP but less torque than a 350. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thats just what I heard.

19. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I used a 95 chevy tahoe with the 5.7 in it to tow my 67 bird and all of my tools and stuff to the track. it was around 8500lb for car and traier. I had trailer breaks on it and it stoped ok. The bigest thing I would sugest is get a set of air bags for the back It completely wore the rear suspention out on mine the springs where sprug and the tahoe had a bad case of saggy rear. I had helper springs and air shocks on it but it didnt help. so I got a new set of springs and used a helper spring and a set of air bags never had a problem agin after that. I was also running a external oil cooler and trans coller with a fan. it helped out a lot and I never had trans problems I gave it to my dad last year for a secound car with 203K on it and the only problems it ever had was the a/c compressor and the alternator. I did have a k&n air filtter with a flomaster exost and summit headers.
    Earl

20. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The 327 is more of a revving engine if I recall. I think it has more HP but less torque than a 350. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thats just what I heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats right.i have spent alot of time in both.in a drag race,the 5.3 wins,but not when theres a 24'proline behind you.