Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tahoe to 2500

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by bigjbear, May 29, 2004.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Accually its a Yukon, but anyway... I've got a '95 Yukon GT 4x4 w/ a blown 10B rear (shocking, I know). I found a set of 2500 8 lug axles. Problem #1 is I need to buy the set. Problem #2 is the Yukon has 3.73s and the 2500 has 4.10s. I hunted on here and at ORC for info on this swap and the short answer is you can't swap the 8 lug fronts onto the 6 lug trucks. What I can't find is why. Is it just a matter of brackets or is it a deal w/ different frames? I am not driving the Yuk right now anyway so down time is not an issue. So has anyone on here tried it? How about some key words to search for either here or on another site? I don't need the strength, I just think it would be cool. This thing will be a DD grocery wagon or maybe pull a trailer, but no wheeling. Just so you know my only experience w/ these trucks so far has been ripping the IFS off to put a solid in its place.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, I'm not sure about getting the 3/4-ton IFS to fit. However, another solution would be to find a light duty 3/4-ton pickup of that body style. They came with a 9.5-inch 14 bolt single floater rear axle that has a 6-lug bolt pattern. You'd get a much beefier rear end with no need to buy new wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. bigjbear

That was the original plan. I am having a hellof time trying to find an axle that meets these three criteria (in order from least important to most): '88-'98, 3.73:1, CHEEP. I don't even care if its an 8 lug, I'll just get the shafts redrilled. I might even be willing to do a FF and run aftermarket hubs I find one in the super cheep range.

Of course if my Pontiac craps out before this thing is road worthy the budget will go up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. bigjbear

I do know where there is a 2500 LD w/ 3.73s & 6 on 5.5. I see it every day. So far my upbringing has made it stay where it belongs. I'll fight the urge to go to "Midnight Auto" /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've heard that the only difference is the brackets that hold the pumpkin from the 8.25" vs. 9.75". That is easy enough to solve by doing a 3/4 swap and ordering a 3/4 lift at the same time. The question is if the front frame is the same on both a 1/2 and 3/4 as far as the suspension components bolting up.

6. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Turns out that the whole front clip is different on a 2500. The uprights and bearing assemblies are different and so are the CV's. There is no cheap way to swap this stuff.I have been talking to various mfg's about incorporating these changes into their lift kits. The problem is that they are all so busy cranking out standard stuff, that they don't really care about it now. I have received a price in excess of ten grand to do the diff swap and custom arms, not including shocks from one custom shop.

7. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    my only experience w/ these trucks so far has been ripping the IFS off to put a solid in its place.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm assuming this would be on the same rig so your only real concern would be the rear, correct?
    -Kell-

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Soulmate33, thanks for the great tech! That pretty much sums it up for most of us, or at least me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

P.S. My Nextel D.C. is 116*23*4736 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bigjbear

No, two different trucks. If this didn't have IFS I would have swapped the front to 8-lug. As you can see from soulmate & others its not an easy swap on an IFS.

My problem got solved I ended up finding a bolt in 6 lug sf14b right down the street for a good price. I just haven't had time to put it in. They also had a ff for even less w/ 4.10s.