Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tahoe towing ?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Bhintz, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

well Im going to me buying a new (used) truck and turning the k5 into a trail truck and I need a dd that will tow the k5 and been looking at some 96-98 tahoes w/ the 350, my question is Ive been looking a some 2 and 4 door ones and will the 2 been able to pull a k5 or will the WB be to small were I need to get the 4 door and will the 350 have enough grunt to pull the 7000lbs ill be pulling

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

96+ tahoe's get the vortech motor. the 5.3 vortech is said to make the same power as the 5.7, and the 5.7 as much as the old 454's did. You can tow with the 2 dr , but ... again, its the whole wheelbase thing. 4dr would be better. 2 door aint great, but douable, get some WD/ sway setup. I think the 4dr tahoes only gain about 1 foot or so in wheelbase anyways.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A 1/2 ton rig is not really enough to be pulling a fully loaded K5 on a trailer. 7500+ lbs should be pulled with a 3/4 or 1 ton rig only.

In other words, look for a 3/4 ton suburban instead.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Sorry, some updated info.

Wheelbase..................2-door: 111.5 inches
    4-door: 117.5 inches

Overall length.............2-door: 188.5 inches
    4-door: 199.1 inches

So you can see, there's only a 6" difference between the two. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    250hp, 335torque in 96+ (5.7)

200hp/310 torque pre 96.

Should be plenty. Note however, the truck is only rated to tow 7000lbs- Double check those numbers yourself.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A 1/2 ton rig is not really enough to be pulling a fully loaded K5 on a trailer. 7500+ lbs should be pulled with a 3/4 or 1 ton rig only.

In other words, look for a 3/4 ton suburban instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree with Tim on this one.

A tahoe is fine pulling a bass boat or corvette, but a heavy K5 is really pushing it IMO. The engine may be up to the task but the tranny, rear axle, brakes, and suspension is not likely to be.

Can you do it, Yes, with a proper weight dist. hitch and sway control. Would I do it?, no.

Just my .02,
    John

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A friend of mine has a 98' Tahoe...
    He's pulling a 7000 GVW trailer and a k10 shortbed...

It has the 350...and it doesn't do to bad...
    It doesn't have an ideal gear for towing (3.42's)...
    so hills can be rough..but it pulls..

7. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I would get the 4 door, like others have said with a WD setup and trailer brakes, you'll pull fine. Just go easy. I pull my jeep (about 5000 pounds) with a 98 Z71, and it does just fine.

I have towed a K20 with a 90 1/2 ton 4x4 sportside, a little to short in my opinion, but it towed great and I had no problem with the tranny, springs, or rear axle and I towed alot with it.

I would definitely put a big tranny cooler in whatever you buy though if it's an automatic.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna agree with Tim(for once /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) on this also.

I like this quote:
    "Just 'cause you can drive a car with your feet, doesn't mean it's a good phuckin idea!" - Chris Rock

I'd go with at least a 3/4 ton....

9. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I tried to tow my 78k10 with my 99 Yukon (I think it's rated for 8000lbs towing) and I was really disapointed. It has a 5.7 vortech and a 4l60e transmission. I don't have a temp gauge, but I could smell the trans burning just driving around on level ground. It took a looong time to accelerate. The trailer was a 7500gvw and it was right at it's limit so that probably didn't help, but If you have a choice I would definitely go with a 3/4 or 1 ton.