Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tahoe troubles...

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Aquaman, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Just a little venting that i need to get out...

My father had a 1995 Z71 that he had no troubles with. He gave it to me, but I always pay for my own things, so I gave it back and bought myself a 1997 Tahoe (stupid me). My uncle has a 93 2dr (blazer or Tahoe or w/e). He has 415,000 miles on it, and all he's had to do is rebuild the trans. My step mother has a 1997 Suburban, and she's had a few problems, but not many. My aunt has a 1999 Yukon, and has had no problems. The list goes on.

But then there is MY Tahoe. I got it back in October with 153,000 miles or so on it. Got a good deal on her. She was in real good shape, and they hadn't had any problems with her at all. Well I went month after month. No problems AT ALL. Then a couple months ago it all went to hell. I have had to change the intake manifold gasket, temp guage, 2 new tires, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter. Now the spiders went, taking the Govlock, and everything else inside carrier. This was all because I did not notice a slow leak out of the outer seals on the end of the axle tubing. The low amount of pressure make it all lock up, and the spiders went kaput. This ruined my brakes aswell. So today, I just spend about $500 on an Auburn, new seals, new races, and new bearings. And this is supposed to last me through college?

I had big plans for her. I was going to do a SAS with D44/14FF. I was going to mod the piss out of the motor, and put a 4L80E in it. 4.56 gears, and some 35's. But now I think I'm going to keep it stock, and get rid of it as soon as it's paid for. Shoot, I'm looking at old Dodge Cummins, and Powerstrokes (can't afford Duramax, and the 6.5L, and 6.2L blows).

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Damn that sucks well i think you should keep to ur plan of the tahoe cuz those look really badass with a sfa and big tires. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

This could be a warning to others, I bought my '95 Silverado with 152,000 miles on it. I have since replaced the intake gasket, new battery, replaced the pitman and idler arms, rebuilt the front diff., replaced all the rear seals, new tires, redid the exhaust, and did several minor interior repairs, and would still say it has been a great truck. Anybody looking at a truck in this mileage range should realize this stuff is wearing out, twenty years ago, the engine would have been rebuilt or shot, the body rusting/rusted out along with these other things, so these trucks are holding up alot better than before. This is a bit deceiving, looking at my truck you would never think it has the miles on it that it does. I realize you didn't plan on these expenses and it's a pain to have them, it just shows how important it is to look at the history on a high mileage used vehicle, if the former owner didn't make any repairs it will need them sooner or later, being you've fixed what you have, I would recommend staying with your truck and following through on your plans rather than getting into something else and starting over.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know your pissed off but thats all stuff that just goes in time. Go sit in the garage forum and listen to everyone talk about what they have to do to their K5s, yeah its older but just cause its newer doesn't mean stuff doesn't wear out too. I know EXACTLY how you feel, my K5 was one thing after another and I ended up getting my 95 I was so mad at the K5. I miss driving it but the 95 is more reliable. No offense but tires just wear out man, sounds like someone got some crap in the fuel system that the lines, filter, and pump went, and as for the intake gasket it happens thats all there is to it.

5. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know your pissed off but thats all stuff that just goes in time. Go sit in the garage forum and listen to everyone talk about what they have to do to their K5s, yeah its older but just cause its newer doesn't mean stuff doesn't wear out too. I know EXACTLY how you feel, my K5 was one thing after another and I ended up getting my 95 I was so mad at the K5. I miss driving it but the 95 is more reliable. No offense but tires just wear out man, sounds like someone got some crap in the fuel system that the lines, filter, and pump went, and as for the intake gasket it happens thats all there is to it.

[/ QUOTE ]Yea I understand. But this is also supposed to be my tow rig for my Cheyenne. I haven't tried yet, but the z71 that I used to have would barely pull it, and almost couldn't stop it.

There is a 1995 Ford F350 PSD for $7900 or $8900 (can't remember) in the Kansas City Truck Trader. I would have gone to look at it today, but I'm leaving tomorrow for Alabama, and I won't get back for two weeks.

... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. acablik

acablik Registered Member

My 95 2-door tahoe has 155,000 on it. It has all the original drivetrain/diffs/etc. My advice is to change the tranny fluid and diff fluid religiously (I do it every 15,000 miles). I spend a lot of money on mait., but it is far less than replacing major parts. My friend's tahoe has 350,000 on the original motor and replaced the original tranny at 265,000. We both drive ours like trucks too! I floor it quite often, tow, wheel, etc. but I know its limits. Keep it, dont piss away more money on another used truck that the same s#!t will happen to! Mine made it through college and got me laid several times along the way! Its short wheel base makes it easy to turn and park unlike trucks.

7. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

I second the Keeping it vote. Things just wear out and need replacing. Now you know alot more about the vehicle too beint that you just replaced these things. If you get another truck you might run into the same thing...replaceing more parts. I would just stick to your current rig!

8. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

9. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

UPDATE...

OK, it seems as though every time it brakes I hate it. But then I get it fixed and I love it agin /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

had to fix the brakes yesterday, because the adjuster stuff all got fawked up cuz I put a spring in backwards. Kinda gay, huh.

But yea, I am loving it. The Auburn gives me more traction them some of my friends who have lockers in the rear! I love hearing the tires chirp when I turn. I am thinkin about doing my original plan now with the SAS and the blah blah blah. Might have to put a 454/4l80e combo in it some day too! hehe /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif