Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tahoe/Yukon vs. Durango vs. Trailblazer/Envoy

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Ressurection, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

OK guys, looking for HONEST opinions.

1. Which will give me the least trouble?
    2. Which is best value in 2-3 year old used? (obviously besides the tb/env)
    3. Which is most comfortable?
    4. Which is best at towing?

Thanks a huuuge amount for your input!!!!!!!!!

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Tahoe/Yukon for all of them

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you ever want to actually go off road with whatever you buy? The Durango has poor approach and departure angles. The body sticks way out in front and behind the tires. Dodge gas engines typically get worse fuel mileage than a similar sized GM or Ford engine in a similar sized vehicle.

The Trailblazer/Envoy has a completely new engine design. Based on GM's history of totally screwing up new products, I'd stay away from the new straight six for a few years and let other folks be GM's guinea pigs. These vehicles also weren't designed to do much time off road. Take a look underneath one and see how low the frame and suspension is to the ground. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

The Tahoe/Yukon will have the best towing ablility of any of them. It's larger and heavier than the others, which will provide more stability while towing. It's also a bit more capable off road than the others.

4. Ressurection

I'll be doing some off roading, (like family vacations, etc.) but my 1st gen is my main off roader locally. What about the ride/stability on the highway? Also, how is the latest generation for fit/finish and trim durability? Little things, like trim falling off, screws coming out, etc. drive me nuts! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

1. Which will give me the least trouble? I have no idea. We sell the snot out of Tahoes, so thats the one we see in service the most. We don't sell as-meny Trailblazers, so we see fewer of those in. It's a persentage thing. I don't think any of the ones listed are bad rides at all, they all seem to be built well, to me any-way.

2. Which is best value in 2-3 year old used? No idea, not my area.

3. Which is most comfortable? They all ride really nice, it's a tuff call, but I think the Trailblazer might have a slight edge over the others (coils front and back)- but not by much.

Which is best at towing? Hands down, the Tahoe. No need to explain further.

The old body style (C/K style) Tahoes don't even come close to comparing to the new body style Tahoes (silverado-stlye). The new ones are by-far better than the old ones in every-way.
    The 5.3L is a awesome engine and pulls hard (for a stocker), exp. off-the-line. Better than any of the other ones from Ford (5.4L) or Dodge (5.9L or the 4.7L).

The Durango is a pretty nice ride too, the 4.7L over-head cam engine feels great. The low-end performance is a slight-bit off, but once it reaches 1800 RPMs (low for a OHC engine) - it feels good, and even better at freeway speeds. Nice engine, Suspension is good (but not great). I really like the over-all package.

I've driven more Durangos (4) than I have Trailblazers (2). So I don't really have a good perspective of 'em yet.
    The Trailblazer's power isn't what it should be, average, not-bad but not great either. Nothing really "hit" me with the Trailblazer, they're better than a S10 Blazer, but it's no Tahoe.... I don't know, like I said, I haven't driven enough of 'em to really get a feeling for 'em.
    Fit and finish looks like it pretty sharp, and we hardly ever see them in for service.

If towing is high on the list, go with the Tahoe - hands down.
    Other-wize I think it's a toss-up.

6. Ressurection

Twiz: Thanks a bunch for the awesome input!! You really put some thought into it. I really like the styling of the Durango, but having never owned a mopar am a bit leary compared to gm. I am down to 1 f***, and will be to 0 when I make this move. I do believe for the room, and better mileage than the durango, the Tahoe/Yukon seems to lead the pack, but wanted to see if there were any downsides. Check out this site and see what you think. Obviously some bias, but they're awfully opinionated: Dakota performance board[/url] http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/per/1128.html