Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tail gate is won't open...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jan 13, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Tail gate is won\'t open...

I CAN'T OPEN UP MY REAR END[​IMG] (sounds kinda like a serious personal problem, huh?) My tail gate on the K5 is stuck closed...The handle is loose and is missing one of the 2 screws but even after I tightend it, it still won't open...any ideas on getting this bad boy open and what I should replace so it will open again? Thanks for the input gang...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Re: Tail gate is won\'t open...

I am not sure if this is it, but while you lift up on the lever, push in on the gate really hard. It will apply pressure to the strikers and allow mechanism to release. Once you get it open, look for something in hinge. If that is not it, you will have to take off tailgate cover from inside and see if the handle is disconnected from locking release arms or linkage. Pretty straight forward once you look inside and just lift lever to see what should be happening. A lot of screws hold the cover on, but not a bad time. Best of luck.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you still can't get it open, pull off the cover (like above), and pull the 2 rods toward the center of the 'gate, it will open.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Mine is harder to open
    I have to stand on my hitch and pull lever push in then pull up and back and is usually works.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, Series 40 delta flow 3" tips
    Coming Soon: Suspension Work, Eaton Posi, More Exhuast work.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I just did this 2 days ago. You can use an open end/box end 1/2 wrench to remove the 4 bolts that secure the latches. One latch on each side. 2 Bolts per. The door will fall right open. Then remove the 16 some odd number phllips screws then look under the latch mechanism mounting area. You should see an aluminum rod attached to the handle and then protruding out through the lever where the rods going to the latches connect. I found that my rod was bent. If you look back on the top again, there are 3 7/16's (i think) bolts, remove those and slide the connection lever away from the handle, nack toward the truck then slide the latch assembly out along with the rod. Then straighten it out if that is indeed your problem. Slide it back in there and re-assemble. Once I did all that the SOB unlatches at the very begining of the latches range of motion. Very nice. Try that adn see if that doesn fix your problem. I was done in less than an hour.

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I dont know if you will need it or not, but you can buy a new handle at napa. My tailgate is hard to open too, I have to push real hard then pull out on it while pulling up on the handle. I have also had to take the cover panel off to get the darn thing open.

88' K5 Silverado 9" Lift 38" Swamper TSL's