Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tail Gate/Tail Pan Replacement options?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Aug 11, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I need to replace the tail gate and tail pan on my new 88 K5. The window still moves up and down, but the gate won't open, and the hinges are pretty much connected to nothing(that's what's left of my tail pan). Where should I start? I have thought over these options...

A- Replace rear bed matal and tail pan assembly with weld on replacement parts (expensive)

B- Fabricate missing parts out of sheet steel, wleld up custom tail pan.

C-Look at junkyard manual or power tail gate assemblies.

D-Buy all new tail gate shell and transfer parts.

E- Think about converting to a P/U style gate with custom locking window..

Any Ideas out there are welcome, I know lots of you guys have had to do this before... Keep in mind I'd like the tail gate bo be functional, and not rattle like a box of bolts over every bump. Thanks a bunch.

Jeremy

2. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

I have a tailgate with power window that I would sell you, but I would have to ship it from CO. Let me know if your interested.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Or you could find someone that lives in a nice, dry, salt-free enviroment that could ship you a rust-free used tailpan section. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

i replaced my tailpan a few weeks ago and installed a used tailgate the tail pan costed me 125.00 or so anmd the rear corner poste were 20.00 each x2 . it worked out good its alot of work but my buddy isb a welder and u have drill out spotwelds but when its aLL DONE IT WORTH IT . i love being able to use my tailgate again .

Kevin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Keith has a nice tail gate for sale in the for sale forums. It's $1000 bucks.

It comes with attached 88 rust free tub with perfect gray interrior, factory tint and sliders.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif