Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tail gate window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    The window in the tailgate of my 78 does not roll down all the way. It sticks up about 6 inches when turned all the way down. Is this normal? It is a pain in the a** when loading things. I'm afraid I'm going to break the window. How can I get it to go all the way down?

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. roadrage

roadrage Registered Member

Check the channels to see if any crap is in the way. I have my tailgate completely apart right now due to motor and or switch problems, so Ihave been looking inside recently. There's not much else in there that could prevent it from going all the way down.

RoadRage!

3. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

I had my rear window replaced twice in the last 3 months becasue I use my blazer for work and after the stock window busted I got the first replacement and it stuck up too. Mine didn't stick up 6 inches but probably 2 inches. Well, sure enough I ended up busting it on the end of some garden hose I was loading in the back. I was already skeptical whether or not the correct window was used so I gave the window installer some [censored] and he called all his competitors and support and swore that the part# was the right one. I even had my insurance company check on it since they weren't gonna pay again if it was the installers mistake, but they too got the same part#. The only thing you can do as far as I know is remove the rubber bumpstop that the channel hits when it goes down and that should give you another 1/2 inch. I ended up putting some diamonmd plate trim on the outside that sticks up a little and fabricated a piece of pipe welded to L-brackets and screwed that in to protect the window from the inside. I've been wanted to post the same message that you just did, but I figured since I haven't seen any other posts that it may have just been the local window manufacturer who got the part # mixed up, but I guess not. Well hope this makes you feel better.

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

There was another post like this a while back. Something is amiss with your window. Several K5's around here are like mine...the window goes down all the way.

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Yo Eagle, Where ya been ? I haven't seen you on here for some time......maybe I just haven't seen posts from you or something.....if not, welcome back.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

If it sticks up 6" I bet it's the furry material that goes in the channels thats worked loose and collected in a knot somewhere down there. If you open the acces-panel(bunsh of screws) remove the cable from the motor, work the cable with a electric drill to open the window, (suport the outgoing window with a lawn-chair) When you have that out of the way you will see the culprit.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

7. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

Sparky is this window a replacement window or the original? My original window was fine, but the two replacement windows are the ones I had problems with. I'm telling you guys Auto Owners Insurance checked on this issue too and they came up with the same part#.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I still had rear glass I had some probs with the window not going all the way down. I took the access panel off and rolled it down manually with the cable and a drill. On mine the bottom edge of the window would get hung up on the mounting bracket for the regulator, I just re-adjusted the side window tracks until it cleared. There really isn't much room inside the tailgate so its a finicky process to get it where it clears everything. Maybe the glass installers loosened the side tracks when they put the glass in. The best way to see what is going on is the drill, variable speed, go slow and you'll likely see what it is catching on.

HTH

Rene

[​IMG]

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

when my tail gate window is cold it rolls down SOOOO SLOW!!!!
    does this happen to anyone else? and how do i fix it?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

10. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I had the window in mine going slow, so I greased up the tracks and rollers, and the big gear that moves the rollers over the tracks. It went a lot faster afterward

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Even though I've been reading this board since before this domain was registered... my password didnt work, but I thought it was time I got that fixed. Here is some info for you:

Service Bulletin Number: 87-T-51
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 113
    Date of Bulletin: 8701
    NHTSA Item Number: 92552
    Make: CHEVROLET TRUCK
    Model: BLAZER
    Year: 1987
    Component: STRUCTURE:TAILGATE ASSEMBLY:ATTACHMENT:WINDOWS
    Summary: TAILGATE WINDOW ALIGNMENT-TAILGATE WINDOW OPERATES SLOWLY OR DOES NOT FULLY RETU RN TO UPWARD OR CLOSED POSITION-CAUSED BY MISALIGNMENT OF REAR TAILGATE WINDOW/C ABLE/GUIDE PINS/SASH ASSEMBLY/REGULATOR ASSEMBLY OR TAILGATE-CHECKS AND ADJUSTME NTS USED TO CORRECT-ALL 1984 TO 1987 CHEVROLET C/K AND BLAZER MODELS WITH POWER TAILGATE WINDOW