Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tail Gate Won't Unlock!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SAVAGE1, Jun 19, 2000.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Tail Gate Won\'t Unlock!!!

I JUST PICKED UP AN 85 K5 AND THE TAIL GATE WON'T UNLOCK SO IT CAN'T BE OPENDED. IT WAS WORKING FINE BEFORE I BROUGHT IT HOME. THE RIG HAS POWER LOCKS AND I WAS WONDERING IF I WAS DOING SOMETHING WRONG. I ROLLED THE REAR WINDOW COMPLETELY DOWN AND EVERYTHING... BUT STILL DIDN'T UNLOCK. ANY SUGGESTIONS... THANKS.

BLAZE IT UP!!!

2. Re: Tail Gate Won\'t Unlock!!!

Make sure you tug on the handle hard b/c on mine, it clicks twice. It moves, seems like it stops, but you have to yank it out another inch. Then it'll open. And the thing weighs like 150 pounds I would say.

If you still can't get it open, try going on the inside of the tailgate and taking the panel off there. There should be like 20 or 25 screws holding it on. When you get in the there, there should be metal rods that run from the center of the gate to the edges. You can grab those and pull them in towards the center (it's not real easy). This is the same as pulling the handle. That will at least get it down for you. If that works, try to take a look at the handle mechanism in there. Maybe you can grease it a little.

Let us know what happens. Hope I helped!

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Tail Gate Won\'t Unlock!!!

Mine sticks sometimes. Roll the window up and then back down. Push in on the gate while lifting the handle and see if that does the trick. The thrashed one on my 75 had a bent handle linkage and I could take a long flat peice of metal and slide it between the weather strip on top and hit the linkage and get it to pop open is it was stuck good.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Just to clairify, the tailgate does not have a lock.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

For some reason they always get loose and won't open. Take the panel off and pull those two rods down to open it. Once its open use a wrench to twist the rods so it tightens them in an S shape. They should open now. I hope this works

6. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

I julst had my tailgate apart this past weekend for the same reason. The other guys are right by saying there are two rods that run from the center of the tailgate to the outer edges each contolling the pin and hook mechanism. I replaced the handle itself because mine was bent badly from forcing the handle too much.

1. check the handle. If the flat piece where the rod connects is not bent then good you don't need a new handle. If it is bent, then the rod attached to it is not pushing the tailgate mechenism enough to draw those two long rods away from the edges of the tailgate.
    2. pull the back panel off (15 or so screws) and pull the rods yourself in toward the center of the tailgate. It will then open.
    3. Now, with the tailgate down, loosen the bolts on the inside of the fenders where the tailgate latches and move the pins out toward the back of the truck a bit. and tighten the bolts. This will take the pressure off the latches when your trying to lift the handle to move the long rods. These pins move in over time and make the mechanism bind up.

keep us posted.

<font color=blue>Rock climbing on Plymouth Rock</font color=blue>[​IMG]
    with my 88 Blazer 350/Auto/TBI[​IMG]

7. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Just an idea. Try pushing against the outside of the gate and then pull the handle at the same time.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Isn't there also some sort of mechanical interlock inside the tailgate that won't let the door open unless the window is all the way down? I seem to remember that there is. If that gets screwed up you can't open the gate. [sad]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys I'll try taking it apart. I finally realized that the key hole on the tail gate was for the window and not for the lock... rookie mistake!! thanks again for the info... it should work =)

-k5Rookie

BLAZE IT UP!!!

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

THANKS AGAIN GUYS... HAD TO OPEN HER UP BUT IT TURNED OUT TO BE A QUICK FIX. JUST HAD TO STRAIGHTEN OUT THE ROD ATTACHED TO THE HANDLE SO IT WOULD ENGAGE THE REST OF THE MECHANISM. THAT'S ONE LESS THING TO WORRY ABOUT.

BLAZE IT UP!!!

11. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Your not alone. Learning alot about my "new" '87 baby. Nice to know these are common problems. Ticked me off until finding ColoradoK5 and all the helpful advice.
    You guys are great!
    Another Rookie