Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tail gate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anyone had the problem of not being able to open your tail gate ??? I rolled the window down, pulled up on the handle, and nothing happened. The handle isn't super stiff, but it's not sloppy loose either.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mine you have to push on the passenger side real hard for it to open...I think it just needs to be lubed up inside...Dan

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll try that in the morning. With my luck, I'll get it open and not be able to get it to stay shut.

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Sounds very familiar. The metal lever attatched to the back of the handle bends because it's weak and therefore the rod connected to it can't travel far enough to fully pull the release mechanism. it can be bent back, but just bends again. (the "lever" arm should be at a 90 degree angle with the back of the handle) I am planning on reinforcing mine somehow. It helps me too if I push in on the tail gate while opening it.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If my memory stills serves me....there is a metal arm inside the gate that prevents the gate from opening when the window is not all the way down. You might have to pop the cover off and take a look at it. Mines gone!

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Mine won't open unless I grab the two metal rods inside and pull towards the handle. It also won't close all the way even with pushing on it very hard. I think the latter is because the sides ofthe bed are tweaked outwards a bit at the top and need to be straightend and strutted. I'm just going to look for a new tailgate because the window won't roll up and down either.

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

mine i have to lean my whole body into the gate and pull up on it...it wont open unless you push it in real hard..

Later

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just got it to open by pushing in on the right side. I opened and closed it a few times, it seems to be working fine now. I still need to soak it with some WD40, but it seems to be working now. Thanks for the help.

9. SnowNuts

SnowNuts Registered Member

PB BLASTER...A WHOLE CAN OUTA BE ENUFFF

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahhaha you guys wanna good story about a tail gate..lol on my k5...(cuase its pretty badly rusted in the rear and side fenders in the rear) lol.me and my dad just wanted t SEE what it would do when we opened it..well..it split in half. yeap..one side fell back..and then the other lol..and there was some horibble rust there..and the rear of the flor panals in the back are shot..they will both need to be replaced..but today im going to look at another 84 k5 (mines 85)..it has no engine or tranny..but the bpdy is suppost to be pretty good..this might be my ticket! ill let you guys no what happens! lol

bryan-later

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Nice story, that'd been a kodak moment.

12. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have a truck gate on my "73 Blazer.I run with no top and no doors.Once in a while during hard wheeling the gate will pop open.Should be solved soon!!!I am not going to tell you how I will fix this.Just wait and see.Brady

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lol i know...weres that damn camera when you need it!!??..lol..
    well right now we are currently figuring out a SLIGHT room problem here..theres that other blazer i might buy depending on the body condition...and then theres this one i have..now see we live in the suberbs..not the city city..but liek def. not in the counrty...lol and we are getting cramped..with two cars and my dads truck and my blazer, and we havea boat, and then if we got this other blazer o boy! lol..we would have the bout and the blazer in the back yard..we are ganna start to look liek a scrap yard around here befor long! lol

later-bryan

14. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

theres a bolt to the right of the bottum mounting bolt for the handle mechanism that's in a little cut out that you can loosen then tighten to adjust the play in those rods when you open your tailgate pull back on the side latches then move the rods till you get the latches to work with minimal pulling on the handle. might want to spray this bolt a few days ahead of time as i broke mine the first time I did this.